none
IoCreateSymbolicLink in AVStream driver? RRS feed

• Question

• What is proper way to IoCreateSymbolicLink in AVStream driver?

I have tried to call IoCreateSymbolicLink in DriverEntry function, but I am not sure what is correct DeviceName?

Is it possible at all?

Monday, July 18, 2016 11:31 AM

Answers

• No, that's not the right solution.  The right solution is to create a custom KSPROPERTYSET, and communicate with your driver using IKsControl.  That all fits within the AVStream framework without having to cobble in a bunch of hacks.

Tim Roberts, Driver MVP Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

Thursday, July 21, 2016 7:30 AM

All replies

• why do you need to create a symbolic link? what bigger problem are you trying to solve? As your driver is a pnp driver, you don't have a device object, and thus no name, in DriverEntry. The first place you have a device object with a name is AddDevice. you can get the PDO, query its name, and create a symbolic link against that device. the create request will come to your FDO when the app opens a handle as the create flows down through the top of the pnp stack

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, July 18, 2016 4:28 PM
  • I am trying to send data(frames) from user mode application to camera driver. Basically, I need to call IoCreateDevice to create device first and  link that device?

Is this good solution for this? I am also considering using pipes.

Tuesday, July 19, 2016 7:33 AM
  • don't use pipes. not supported in drivers. you can reuse the device object that avstream/portcls creates for you.

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, July 19, 2016 3:42 PM
  • No, that's not the right solution.  The right solution is to create a custom KSPROPERTYSET, and communicate with your driver using IKsControl.  That all fits within the AVStream framework without having to cobble in a bunch of hacks.

Tim Roberts, Driver MVP Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

Thursday, July 21, 2016 7:30 AM