Contact Selector does not show updated Active Directory information RRS feed

• Question

• I have a InfoPath 2007 form with a contact selector.  When selecting a certain person in the selector, that person's department shows old information.  I have verified that the information in Active Directory is showing the new department for that person. 

How do I get the updated information in the selector?

FYI - I am new to InfoPath and I inherited this form from someone else.

Monday, March 28, 2011 2:53 PM

Answers

• The data comes from the User Information List, which is specific to the site collection.  This list is actually driven by the UserInfo table in the content database, and there is a record per person per site collection.  it is not synced with the profile database and therefore does not get updated when profile syncs occur.  To update a user, you must remove them from the UIL and re-add.
    SharePoint Architect || Microsoft MVP || My Blog
    Planet Technologies || SharePoint Task Force
    • Marked as answer by SquishyPBJ Wednesday, March 30, 2011 3:23 PM
    Wednesday, March 30, 2011 7:13 AM
  • I'd like to try your suggestion of updating the UIL.  Can you tell me how I would do this?

User profile is correct on the MySites side and in Active Directory.  Verified both by looking at them.

Thank you for your help!

Go to the User Information List in your site collection and remove that user from the site collection by going here:
    Wednesday, March 30, 2011 2:12 PM

All replies

• The contact selector in InfoPath 2007 doesn't point to Active Directory.  Rather, it points to the User Profile stored in SharePoint.   The User Profile is synchronized (usually on a nightly basis) with Active Directory.  The attributes synched with User Profile and the frequency in which they are synched  is set up by the SharePoint administrator in Configuration Management.
    Monday, March 28, 2011 3:45 PM
  • That would make sense, but can you answer this - the person's information on our SharePoint site is correct, so why wouldn't the contact selector control show the same information?
    Monday, March 28, 2011 3:48 PM
  • When you say "on our SharePoint site is correct", what information are you specifically referring to? 

There is also the possiblity of the WSS User Profile being out of synch with the MOSS User Profile (if you installed WSS first and then MOSS on top of that).   Not sure if this is the issue you're facing.

Excerpt from  http://blog.brianfarnhill.com/2009/03/18/the-difference-between-wss-and-moss-user-profiles/

"The thing that sorta confused me with this though is that the two don’t instantly sync up. If you make a change in Active Directory and let the SSP import the new data, you will immediately see the change in the MOSS profile (so in the SSP and the user My Site) but you will not see it in the WSS profiles for the user (which you can see by browsing to a site and choose “My Settings” in the user menu). MOSS does have a timer job that will run to do this "

The following link explains how to correct this issue.  http://sharepointnotes.wordpress.com/2008/05/05/syncing-wss-and-moss-user-profile-properties-with-active-directory/

hth

Monday, March 28, 2011 3:56 PM
  • More information - the information for this person is showing correctly on our SharePoint site (User Profile is correct), just not in the contact selector.  Does anyone know where this OLD data is coming from and how to get it to update?
    Monday, March 28, 2011 4:45 PM
  • When you say that User Profile is correct, what steps are you taking to verify this?  How/where are you looking at the information.

When you refer to the contact selector, how are you invoking that?  What are you clicking on to get that? 

In SharePoint there are multiple different ways data is being stored and depending on the method being used, the data could be pulled from different locations.   By providing this information I should be able to re-create or explain what is happening.

Tuesday, March 29, 2011 10:31 PM
  • The data comes from the User Information List, which is specific to the site collection.  This list is actually driven by the UserInfo table in the content database, and there is a record per person per site collection.  it is not synced with the profile database and therefore does not get updated when profile syncs occur.  To update a user, you must remove them from the UIL and re-add.
    Wednesday, March 30, 2011 7:13 AM
  • I'd like to try your suggestion of updating the UIL.  Can you tell me how I would do this?

User profile is correct on the MySites side and in Active Directory.  Verified both by looking at them.

Thank you for your help!

Wednesday, March 30, 2011 12:35 PM

Thank you for your help!

Go to the User Information List in your site collection and remove that user from the site collection by going here:
    Wednesday, March 30, 2011 2:12 PM
  • Thank you so much for your help!
    Wednesday, March 30, 2011 3:23 PM