Does the SaveAsText/LoadFromText format have a name? RRS feed

• Question

• We all know that the hidden, undocumented SaveAsText/LoadFromText methods can be used to export Access objects to text format and vice versa. For those unfamiliar with it, the format looks something like this:

Version =20
    VersionRequired =20
    Checksum =1056670777
    Begin Report
        Width =6994
        Right =12840
        Bottom =8715

My question: Does this format have a name?

The reason I'm asking: I'm writing a utility class to extract data from this format, and I need a name for it. We all know that naming is a hard problem and I don't want to call it AccessSaveAsTextFormatParser. I'd rather call it AbcdParser, with Abcd substituted by the name of the format.

Tuesday, May 10, 2016 4:31 PM

Answers

• Well, I assume that each text file will take on the name of the object (keep in mind that name conflicts will occur since you can have a table, a form, a report and a query ALL with the same name).

However, I don’t think you asking about file name, but “what” in fact is this data?

I think the best term would be meta-code. I could also argue that since the results are non-procedure, then in computing science, we reference to this type of code or language text as declarative syntax.

So SQL, or HTML is an example of a declarative syntax and is by nature NON procedural. Another term is markup language, but that tends to suggest HTML.

So, choices are:

Meta code,

Markup text

Metadata

Access Declarative code.

On the other hand, perhaps just calling it AccessText would suffice.

I don’t believe I seen a specific name attached to the meta-code that save-as produces, but Metadata is likely the best description.

Regards,

Albert D. Kallal (Access MVP)

Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Tuesday, May 10, 2016 7:31 PM

All replies

• Well, I assume that each text file will take on the name of the object (keep in mind that name conflicts will occur since you can have a table, a form, a report and a query ALL with the same name).

However, I don’t think you asking about file name, but “what” in fact is this data?

I think the best term would be meta-code. I could also argue that since the results are non-procedure, then in computing science, we reference to this type of code or language text as declarative syntax.

So SQL, or HTML is an example of a declarative syntax and is by nature NON procedural. Another term is markup language, but that tends to suggest HTML.

So, choices are:

Meta code,

Markup text

Metadata

Access Declarative code.

I don’t believe I seen a specific name attached to the meta-code that save-as produces, but Metadata is likely the best description.

Regards,

Albert D. Kallal (Access MVP)

Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Tuesday, May 10, 2016 7:31 PM
  • Hi Heinzi.at,

The suggestion given  by the Albert D. Kallal can be solution for your issue. kindly check it.

Regards

Deepak

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, May 11, 2016 1:08 AM

Yes, that's exactly what I'm asking about: "MyWordFile.docx" is to "Office Open XML WordprocessingML" as "MyReportExtractedWithSaveAsText.rpt" is to "...".

So, choices are:

Meta code,

Markup text

Metadata

Access Declarative code.

"Access Declarative code" or "AccessText" comes close to what I had in mind, thanks for the suggestions.

I'll leave the question open for the time being, maybe someone can come up with a more official (or widely-used community-accepted unofficial) solution. After all, the Microsoft developers working on this feature must have had some (internal?) name for it.

Best regards
    Heinzi

Wednesday, May 11, 2016 10:38 AM
  • Hi Heinzi.at,

I am agree with the suggestion given by the Albert D. Kallal.

I think we can use Access Declarative code as the name of the format.

you have mention in your post that , "the Microsoft developers working on this feature must have had some (internal?) name for it."

No, there is no any internal name is used by the Microsoft developers.

Regards

Deepak

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, May 16, 2016 7:24 AM