HTML Webpart or JS to emulate a ribbon item RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have recently been tasked with updating a large catalog of SP 2010 version workflows to SP13 versions. The one nagging problem is that the user base HATES the click between launching the approval task and actually getting to the page to click the approve/reject button. I have tried URL manipulation (inserting a link on the WorkFlowTask/DispForm.aspx page that is the same as the "Edit Item" URL but the associated workflow inserts the task list ID in the URL @ ID=) that I cant get to work.

I saw some threads on calendar views and buttons on the page that emulate the ribbon but are not the ribbon. In may case would it be possible to use HTML/JS to:

1. Make a button
    2. On click that button would do the same thing as the "Edit Item" button in the Ribbon

Thursday, April 16, 2020 12:53 PM

Answers

• Hi GEE,

Below is a blog that shows how to navigate to edit page without extra clicks. You may take a reference:

Best Regards,

Baker Kong

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click  here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

• Marked as answer by GEE OTTO Monday, April 20, 2020 4:23 PM
    Monday, April 20, 2020 8:04 AM

All replies

• Hi GEE,

I understand there are a lot of tasks in WorkFlowTask list and your users need to approve them. 

May i know what the goal you want to achieve? Since the Edit item ribbon is already existing, what's the difference between the expected button and Edit item ribbon? It would be appreciated if you can share some screenshots.

Best Regards,

Baker Kong

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Friday, April 17, 2020 2:48 AM
  • Hello,

That is a great question!The goal is to bypass the Workflow Tasks DispForm.aspx and go directly to the EditForm.aspx from Approval email sent to the user. Currently, the SharePoint generated link is [%Task: URL%] that takes the approver to the Workflow Task List item to View the task, to get to the page that you included in your post they have to click "Edit Item" so they can actually click Approve or Reject.

My users want to go directly to the "Edit Item" page from the email sent to them when the task is assigned. Normally I would grab the URL and have the workflow insert the "ID" of the list item in the URL where it has "ID=" but I cannot get that to work on the Workflow Task list because I cant get the look up right between the Workflow Tasks list and the Item list.

Friday, April 17, 2020 1:31 PM
  • Hi GEE,

When I tested this issue with the default 'Approval process', The approval email by default will display a button which could navigate to 'Approve /Reject' page.  

You may have a try the above oob functionality. And may I know how you define your workflow? are you using the built-in approval process?

Best Regards,

Baker Kong

Monday, April 20, 2020 7:21 AM
  • Hi GEE,

Below is a blog that shows how to navigate to edit page without extra clicks. You may take a reference:

Best Regards,

Baker Kong

• Marked as answer by GEE OTTO Monday, April 20, 2020 4:23 PM
    Monday, April 20, 2020 8:04 AM
  • YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! Thanks this worked LIKE A CHARM!
    Monday, April 20, 2020 4:23 PM