What happens to a Managed Premium Disk after VM is deleted? RRS feed

• Question

• I have created a VM that had managed Premium Disks. I had to delete the VM, so how do i ensure that the disks are gone as i don't have access to the storage account as it's a managed disk ?

Do i detach the managed premium data disks and then delete the VM or when i delete the VM with the Managed Data disks, the data disks are also deleted along with the VM, how this thing works in case of Managed Disks?

Pallab Chakraborty

Friday, January 5, 2018 2:58 PM

All replies

• A managed disk is a separate object - so you don't need to know the name of the storage account where it resides. You can simply locate it by searching for disks in your subscription - or simply look at the content of the resource group where the disk resides.

Deleting VM does not automatically remove its disks. This applies to both managed and non-managed disks. You don't have to detach disks prior to deleting the VM.

hth
    Marcin

Friday, January 5, 2018 3:15 PM
  •  Resource associated with the VM do not get deleted automatically when you delete the VM.

Please click on All recourseand see whether it’s appearing there if yes, delete from there. 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.

Saturday, January 6, 2018 3:38 PM
  • Hello,

When you delete the VM it will not delete the disk automatically associated with it.

You can use the powershell commands to delete all the resources associate with a VM when you delete a VM.

You an delete all the resources of a resource group in a single shot with this simple powershell command -

Remove-AzureRmResourceGroup -Name ResourceGroupname

Please Mark as Answer if my post works for you or Vote as Helpful if it helps you. Kapil Singh

Sunday, January 7, 2018 2:45 PM