Does vs2010 mstest work with Windows 8? RRS feed

• Question

• I am having some problems running unit tests in Windows 8.  I have fresh install or Windows 8, fresh install of VS2010 with service pack.  I create a new test project, try to run tests and it just hangs forever.  If I look in output window I see the error below.

E, 7016, 6, 2012/08/22, 12:39:21.323, JAYLA-WKS01\QTAgent32.exe, AgentObject.OnBackgroundSendTestMessage: Connection to controller was lost. System.Runtime.Remoting.RemotingException: The argument type 'Run {3c5f18d0-d8fd-4ed9-b1ad-aea284ded2d4}, Test {a4b66b2a-4a2e-4f49-aafe-afc8b2d75df1}: Started' cannot be converted into parameter type 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.Common.TestMessage'. ---> System.InvalidCastException: Object must implement IConvertible.

at System.Convert.ChangeType(Object value, Type conversionType, IFormatProvider provider)

at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.Message.CoerceArg(Object value, Type pt)

--- End of inner exception stack trace ---

Server stack trace:

at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.Message.CoerceArg(Object value, Type pt)

at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.Message.CoerceArgs(MethodBase mb, Object[] args, ParameterInfo[] pi)

at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink.SyncProcessMessage(IMessage msg)

Exception rethrown at [0]:

at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)

at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)

at Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.Controller.IControllerCallback.AgentEvent(String agentName, TestMessage message)

at Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.Agent.AgentObject.<>c__DisplayClass14.<OnSendTestMessage>b__12()

at Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.Execution.ExecutionUtilities.InvokeController(Action invokeController, String caller, Boolean& connectionLost)

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 7:44 PM

Answers

• Hi AbdEIRaheim,

Thank you for posting in the MSDN forum.

Visual Studio 2010 MSTest.exe can work with Windows 8. I would like to know if you encounter this error when running your tests using MSTest.exe. If so, I suggest that you can try to create a simple unit test to run or execute your unit test directly using Visual Studio to check if the error still will occur.

In addition, you can try the following steps to see if they help:

a) Try to run devenv /ResetSettings (in command prompt) to eliminate the related potential settings problem.

b) Try disabling Add-ins (e.g. “Tools” | “Add-in Manager”) or run “devenv.exe /SafeMode”.This can eliminate the possibility that third party Add-ins or packages are causing problems.

c) Try creating a new project. Sometimes corrupted project settings can cause problems.

d) Try to reboot the operating system to safe mode. This can help to isolate whether any other applications are interfering with Visual Studio. Note that some features (like IIS) are not available under safe mode. Please check whether this can be applied or not.

If they don’t help, try running "devenv /setup, devenv /resetskippkgs, devenv /resetuserdata" in command prompt.

I hope this will be helpful to you.

Best regards,

Amanda Zhu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

• Marked as answer by Amanda Zhu Wednesday, August 29, 2012 8:07 AM
    Thursday, August 23, 2012 3:02 AM