Performance Problems with SMI RRS feed

• Question

• I have a subscription management interface that seems a reasonably thin wrapper of the NS API.  Whenever I do gets, it takes a tremendously long time to process.  For example, when I do a GetSubscriptions for a user (very thin wrapper around SubscriptionEnumeration()) it takes roughly 40s to return on one of my servers which is an old P3-866, and 20s to return on my dev VM (on a physical Intel Dual Core 2.0Ghz).  CPU is hit pretty hard during those calls.  This also seems to happen when I get SubscriptionClasses.

I've looked through several samples, some from the NS Samples included, some from 3rd party books, and all seem to have similar calls, without mention of performance problems.  Is there something I might be doing wrong?  Or is this expected behavior?  Should I be caching the data?  Anyone else run into this issue?  This seems like a reasonably common use case, so I was surprised to not readily find anything about this after a quick search on Google.

-Francis

Friday, June 30, 2006 9:06 PM

Answers

• I realized that I had made a change which ended up creating too many connections, which slowed things down alot.  Reverting that improved performance considerably.  Still pegs the CPU though.
    Thursday, July 6, 2006 9:42 PM

All replies

• I realized that I had made a change which ended up creating too many connections, which slowed things down alot.  Reverting that improved performance considerably.  Still pegs the CPU though.
    Thursday, July 6, 2006 9:42 PM
  • Just to offer another data point  - I haven't had performance problems with SMI. Could there be something else going on do you think?

Have you tried looking into it with SQL Profiler?

HTH..

Joe

Thursday, July 13, 2006 11:58 AM