How to handle GPU usage at user does not interact with application like blender or other software?

Question

• Hi. I'm developing simple 3D modeling software with DirectX and target platform is Windows 8 and Windows Store, Windows Phone.

I used "while loop" for rendering UI and scene data now, and the program always use GPU power even user not interact with empty scene. In other modeling software (like blender), GPU usage with no interaction is less than 1%.

I think that this kind of softwares need something method for determining whether drawing need or not in every frame, unlike game. Game need drawing every frame because of game is realtime application. But modeling software is not need realtime, it is static.

So, do you have any ideas, references or examples for handling this situation ? I want to know is there a general method for this problem.

Tuesday, June 24, 2014 9:10 AM

Answers

• You can set a flag when your scene changes and only re-render if it does. If this applies to only part of your scene then you can render it to a bitmap and display that bitmap instead of re-rendering from scratch each frame.

The method to determine whether drawing is needed in each frame is application dependent.

--Rob

• Marked as answer by Kichang Kim Wednesday, June 25, 2014 5:45 AM
    Tuesday, June 24, 2014 11:55 PM
    Owner