none
Add custom control outside Outlok ribbon RRS feed

• Question

• I'm new to develop Outlook add-in. I want to write a custom attach file service. When user select attached files, my add-in will upload these files to my server. I want to show a control display upload progress. And I want put this control in same position with original attach file control.

My problem is, I cannot find any document about adding a control outside the Outlook robbin. Most documents guide me to add control to robbin, or a new tab.

See the picture from this link "i.stack.imgur.com/Pqh4N.png" (Sorry, I have not permission to post image or link). I want to put my control in red rectangle position, or below the Subject field.

Is it possible to do? Thanks.

Friday, September 26, 2014 2:25 AM

Answers

• Hello,

The Ribbon UI doesn't provide anything for this. The Outlook Form Regions don't provide any layout for this also. You can read more about form regions on the Creating Outlook Form Regions page. The Adjoining region type appends the form region to the bottom of an Outlook form's default page. There is no top position.

I also test commercial components provided by Add-in Express. They provide the TopSubpane layout shown on the screenshot:

I think the form shown on the screenshot was created using the Add-in Express toolset.

The last resort is to use Windows API functions for subclassing the inspector window and adding the form where you need. See Adjacent Windows In Outlook for more information. The sample code is available also.

Friday, September 26, 2014 10:44 AM
  • Hi t4nhpt,

First, please refer to Eugene’s reply. For the screenshot that you provide, I think it uses add in express.

Secondly, programmatically attach files to email items, you could refer to this article below:

# Programmatically Attach Files to Outlook E-Mail Items

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms268870.aspx

There is a link about add-in express extension that may benefit you:

# Add-in Express for Microsoft Office and .net

http://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/A4880BFE-A230-44B6-9D23-86AFAA1A2997

Best Regards

Starain Chen

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, September 29, 2014 6:06 AM

All replies