none
Problem: WCF endpoint works on development machine but not when deployed to production environment. RRS feed

• Question

• I have developed a WCF Windows service which has the following entry in app.config

<services>

<servicename="WCFWinService.WCFService">

<endpointaddress="" binding="netNamedPipeBinding" bindingConfiguration="" contract="WCFWinService.IWCFService">

<identity>

<dnsvalue="localhost" />

</identity>

</endpoint>

<endpointaddress="mex" binding="mexNamedPipeBinding" bindingConfiguration="" contract="IMetadataExchange" />

<host>

<baseAddresses>

<addbaseAddress="net.pipe://localhost/Design_Time_Addresses/WCFWinService/WCFService/" />

</baseAddresses>

</host>

</service>

The client that consumes it, which runs on the same machine, is a web service. I added a service reference to the web service project and it made the following entry to web.config:

<system.serviceModel>

<bindings>

<netNamedPipeBinding>

<bindingname="NetNamedPipeBinding_IWCFService" closeTimeout="00:01:00"

openTimeout="00:01:00" receiveTimeout="00:10:00" sendTimeout="00:01:00"

transactionFlow="false" transferMode="Buffered" transactionProtocol="OleTransactions"

hostNameComparisonMode="StrongWildcard" maxBufferPoolSize="524288"

maxBufferSize="65536" maxConnections="10" maxReceivedMessageSize="65536">

<readerQuotasmaxDepth="32" maxStringContentLength="8192" maxArrayLength="16384"

maxBytesPerRead="4096" maxNameTableCharCount="16384" />

<securitymode="Transport">

<transportprotectionLevel="EncryptAndSign" />

</security>

</binding>

</netNamedPipeBinding>

</bindings>

<client>

<endpointaddress="net.pipe://localhost/Design_Time_Addresses/WCFWinService/WCFService/"

binding="netNamedPipeBinding" bindingConfiguration="NetNamedPipeBinding_IWCFService"

contract="ServiceReference1.IWCFService" name="NetNamedPipeBinding_IWCFService">

<identity>

<dnsvalue="localhost" />

</identity>

</endpoint>

</client>

</system.serviceModel>

Adding the service reference also created a configuration.svcinfo file which also contains a similar endpoint reference.

Everything works in the development environment and the web service client is able to call the windows service.

I deployed the WCF to the production machine by copying the files unchanged and installing the service using installutil. The service was started with no errors.

I also deployed the Web Service to the same production machine and tested it but the endpoint no longer works and gives an error:

Could not find default endpoint element that references contract 'B1ToCIS_WCF.IWCFService' in the ServiceModel……………

Questions:

Do I have to change the base address in the Windows Service app.config? To what?

Do I have to change the endpoint address in the web Service web.config? To what?

Do I need to change configuration.svcinfo?

Do I need to change anything else to make it work?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 10:55 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Design time address is something that Visual Studio creates details. So it won't work on deployment machines.

1 & 2. Just remove the Desgin_Time_Address in the both app.config and web.config.

net.pipe://localhost/WCFWinService/WCFService/

3. No need to change .svcinfo

4. You may[not sure as you are using namedpipes] need to run your apps with Administrator privileges.

/Srinivas

• Marked as answer by meld7426 Wednesday, February 27, 2013 1:18 PM
    Wednesday, February 27, 2013 12:02 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Design time address is something that Visual Studio creates details. So it won't work on deployment machines.

1 & 2. Just remove the Desgin_Time_Address in the both app.config and web.config.

net.pipe://localhost/WCFWinService/WCFService/

3. No need to change .svcinfo

4. You may[not sure as you are using namedpipes] need to run your apps with Administrator privileges.

/Srinivas

• Marked as answer by meld7426 Wednesday, February 27, 2013 1:18 PM
    Wednesday, February 27, 2013 12:02 PM
  • Thanks, Srinivas!

That solved it.

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 1:19 PM