DEP keeps stopping my program running on vista.. RRS feed

• Question

• i recently created a web browsing program, the idea was it was to be used for online gaming specifically flash and java games, the program runs fine on windows XP and the program starts up and loads the homepage correctly in vista aswell but as soon as i try to run a java based game that stores files on your computer DEP kicks in and stops my program =/

so does anyone know anything i can do to stop this? i see no way why my program isnt compliant with DEP when it does the same as internet explorer and firefox.

the program was made in express and is installed via a setup file created also in visual basic express

thanks Smile
    Friday, April 11, 2008 12:13 PM

Answers

•  

I had a very similar problem on two very different computers with Vista.  This worked for me:

Go into Control Panel and open Internet Options. 

Click on the Advanced Tab.  Scroll down near the bottom and find "Enable memory protection to help mitigate online attacks".  UNCHECK that box.  Click apply and OK.

Now try again, Java won't crash Internet Explorer any more.  I hope this helps you too!!

Too bad Microsoft and Sun's Java can't seem to work together without causing us nasty problems.

Thursday, May 29, 2008 4:07 AM

All replies

• Does it work correctly if you run the app as Administrator?

You say it stores files on the computer.  Where on the computer?  In Windows Vista, there are some folders you are not allowed to store files in, such as the Program Files directory.

Chris

Friday, April 11, 2008 5:14 PM
  •  

no it doesent work when run as administrator and it stores files in the windows folder, this is allowed because it works on nearly all other webbrowsers
    Friday, April 11, 2008 5:42 PM
  •  

I had a very similar problem on two very different computers with Vista.  This worked for me:

Go into Control Panel and open Internet Options. 

Click on the Advanced Tab.  Scroll down near the bottom and find "Enable memory protection to help mitigate online attacks".  UNCHECK that box.  Click apply and OK.

Now try again, Java won't crash Internet Explorer any more.  I hope this helps you too!!

Too bad Microsoft and Sun's Java can't seem to work together without causing us nasty problems.

Thursday, May 29, 2008 4:07 AM
  • seems to have worked, thanks for the help mate

Thursday, May 29, 2008 10:56 AM
  • U R very welcome!  Glad I could help

Thursday, May 29, 2008 12:38 PM