VSTS extension - Failed to load RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have created a sample VSTS extension for creating Hub by following the below link.

https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/integrate/extensions/develop/add-hub

I could mange to publish and install the extension and the new Hub link is available in VSTS.

When I click on the hub link in VSTS , extension is not loaded and the page displays "Failed to load".

I am stuck now as I do not know how to debug the extensions. F12 tools doesn't help as the error occurred during loading extension.

Can any one please let me know how to debug the failing extensions in VSTS

Thanks,

Sreelatha

Monday, December 7, 2015 1:56 AM

All replies

• Hi Sreelatha M,

Please check whether you have uploaded action.html to your web app and associated with this html with the uri.

"uri": "action.html"
    Best Regards,
    Li Wang

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, December 7, 2015 8:48 AM
  • Hi Li Wang,

Thanks for your reply.

I am writing extension for the first time. Kindly bear with me if I am asking pretty basic questions.

I have updated vss-extension.json, to include html file (in my case hello-world.html)

"contributions": [
        {
          "id": "firstExtension",
          "type": "ms.vss-web.hub",
          "description": "Adds a 'Hello' hub to the Work hub group.",
          "targets": [
            "ms.vss-work-web.work-hub-group"
          ],
          "properties": {
            "name": "Hello",
            "order": 99,
            "uri": "hello-world.html"
          }
        }
      ],

and  created VSIX package using TFS Cross Platform Command Line Interface (as per https://www.visualstudio.com/integrate/extensions/publish/command-line).

Then I uploaded this .VSIX package to Visual Studio Marketplace Publishing Portal.

Uploading an extension accepts only .VSIX files and couldn't upload any other html files. 

Am I missing anything here?

Regards,

Sreelatha

Tuesday, December 8, 2015 1:40 AM
  • Hi Sreelatha M,

Keep hello-world.html file in the root of your project will be fine.

Best Regards,
    Li Wang

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, December 8, 2015 7:51 AM
  • Has this been resolved and if so what did you do?  I am having the exact same issue using the same example.

Michael Denwood

Wednesday, April 13, 2016 10:43 PM
  • After trying many things, the solution to the issue is quite simple.  You must package the file using tfx tool in THE PROJECT DIRECTORY.  I was passing the fully qualified file name to the utility instead of cd'ing to the directory.

So, at the NPM pompt, cd to your project directory then type the following at the at the NPM prompt:

tfx extension create

This will put the files in the correct place in the vsix file. 

Michael Denwood

Tuesday, April 19, 2016 9:57 PM