Looking for a jpg tutorial... RRS feed

• Question

• Hey, first I'd like to say that I have looked long and hard for good tutorials.  Not having found any, I would like to come here and ask for referals (or if someone is feeling particularly generous they could help me out themselves).

I need to create a program which will allow the user to select a picture, type in a name, and then the program will dump out a JPG with the picture positioned on a background and their name positioned below the name.

The picture will be from a digital camera, in a JPG format, so it will need to be re-sized from a large picture to something only about 1"x2" in size.  The background will be static.

I imagine it would be simplest to create a command prompt program which would accept 2 parameters.  program "file.jpg" "Mr. Joe Blow", and then have it output a picture by the name of the person.

I have extremely limited experience working with pictures in C++ so a beginner tutorial would be best. 

Tuesday, May 9, 2006 8:28 PM

Answers

• GDI+ will allow you to save a jpg.  I have GDI+ tutorials at www.codeproject.com, but they are for VC6.  That just means they cover setting up GDI+, which you would have done for you by the newer IDE.

Then you would use a Graphics object - create a Bitmap in the size you want, use Graphics::FromBitmap to get a graphics object, draw your other image onto it, and whatever else you want, then save it with the Bitmap's Save method.

Tuesday, May 9, 2006 8:55 PM

All replies

• GDI+ will allow you to save a jpg.  I have GDI+ tutorials at www.codeproject.com, but they are for VC6.  That just means they cover setting up GDI+, which you would have done for you by the newer IDE.

Then you would use a Graphics object - create a Bitmap in the size you want, use Graphics::FromBitmap to get a graphics object, draw your other image onto it, and whatever else you want, then save it with the Bitmap's Save method.

Tuesday, May 9, 2006 8:55 PM
  • Sorry for the late reply, I was waiting for notification and I must not have checked the notification box.

Thank you for the link, I will take a look at it right now.

Friday, May 12, 2006 5:09 PM