SharePoint Hot DR strategy - SQL mirroring and Farm config backups? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all - I'm pretty new to SharePoint and I've been swimming in the documentation for a while.  I think I'm beginning to get a handle on things but I'd like to get some input and confirmation from the experts.

We're setting up a HA SharePoint environment consisting of 2 WFE, 2 App servers (all running on VMs) and a 2-node SQL cluster.  In DR we'll have an identical setup.

From my reading I understand we can use SQL mirroring to replicate the content DBs, but this won't bring the configuration over - we need to use the SharePoint backup functionality for that.  

I also understand we can restore a configuration-only backup to our DR farm to replicate the prod configuration.  Good so far?

So if we mirror the content DBs and restore a configuration-only farm backup from prod to DR every time we make significant changes, we should have relatively little to do in order to get the site back up other than bringing the DBs online and repointing DNS to the DR site?  Or is there something more that I'm overlooking?  

One point I'm not clear on is which DBs support mirroring - I recall seeing a table listing which do and which don't, but now I can't seem to find it. 

Thanks in advance for your attention and I appreciate any input.

Friday, December 20, 2013 1:00 AM

Answers

• A configuration-only restore will not bring over all configuration elements, but it will bring over major ones, such as Web Applications.

Your best bet is to simply duplicate the changes in the DR environment. When you deploy a farm solution, deploy it to the DR farm as well. Script your changes to make them easy to replicate.

Trevor Seward, MCC

Follow or contact me at...

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

• Marked as answer by JasonGuo Sunday, December 29, 2013 11:19 AM
    Friday, December 20, 2013 2:14 AM

All replies

• I can't answer your question directly as I've not implemented this strategy in SharePoint 2013 but I do recall the table you mention.  It can be read on this url.  It documents Supported high availability and disaster recovery options for SharePoint databases

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj841106.aspx

Hope it helps.

Steven Andrews
    SharePoint Business Analyst: LiveNation Entertainment
    Blog: baron72.wordpress.com
    Twitter: Follow @backpackerd00d
    My Wiki Articles: CodePlex Corner Series
    Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves (or helps) your problem.

• Proposed as answer by JasonGuo Sunday, December 29, 2013 11:19 AM
    Friday, December 20, 2013 1:58 AM
    Answerer
  • A configuration-only restore will not bring over all configuration elements, but it will bring over major ones, such as Web Applications.

Your best bet is to simply duplicate the changes in the DR environment. When you deploy a farm solution, deploy it to the DR farm as well. Script your changes to make them easy to replicate.

Trevor Seward, MCC

Follow or contact me at...

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

• Marked as answer by JasonGuo Sunday, December 29, 2013 11:19 AM
    Friday, December 20, 2013 2:14 AM
  • Thanks for the reply!
    Monday, December 30, 2013 10:35 PM
  • Thanks Trevor.
    Monday, December 30, 2013 10:39 PM