"noLongerMeaningful" error at the end of a long promise chain RRS feed

• Question

• This is incredibly frustrating because the error isn't descriptive at all and I can't figure out how to even catch it.

It occurs at the end of a long promise chain, inside of done().  I have tried providing a onError function to the done.  I've tried putting a try/catch inside of the done.  I've tried putting a try/catch around the entire promise chain.  Nothing will catch this error.

I'm at a loss for how to even decode this.  If I put an onerror function in every then statement it would take me hours to find all of them in the chain and create function, there are probably 15-20 thens in this chain. 

var terminateAppHandler = function (data) {
      debugger;
      MSApp.terminateApp(data);
    };

{"exception":null,"error":{"name":"noLongerMeaningful","message":"noLongerMeaningful"},"promise":{"_value":{"name":"noLongerMeaningful","message":"noLongerMeaningful"},"_isException":false,"_errorId":2},"id":2}

Monday, July 16, 2012 11:08 PM

Answers

All replies

• If I change it from a done to a then the error still occurs.  I'm dumbfounded as to what can be causing it.
    Monday, July 16, 2012 11:12 PM
  • Matthew,

Given the name of your error it seems that this is an error returned from a datasource. Can you search your project for where noLongerMeaningful is being returned as a promise error?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/br211686.aspx

Also, a tip for debugging promises in general - Inside Visual Studio's Debug menu, there is a Exceptions option. Try enabling the option so the debugger breaks on all Thrown JavaScript Runtime Exceptions. This might help you find where the error is being thrown.

Best,
    -Sean

Thursday, July 19, 2012 7:20 PM