Access 2010 runtime question RRS feed

• Question

• I know that Access 2010 runtime doesn't play nice with other versions of Access. However does anyone know how it plays where an older version of Office is installed when the users would never have a need to run the older version of Access, but they still need their other Office applications to run smoothly?
    For the benefit of others, please mark posts as answered or helpful when they answer or assist you in finding the answer. ...Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 3:28 PM

Answers

• My experience of deploying Access 2010 into a mixed MS Office enviroment is pretty much, well, mixed. It certainly gives grief if you have any other version of access installed (mostly the office installer just keeps kicking in when users switch between RT2010 & Older versions), after a few moments the installer disappears & everything is ok for the version launched.

I have had the Office Installer kick up on systems without access installed but other office components are, but very very infrequently. Where ever possible I uninstall previous versions of access before installing the 2010 runtime, and only leave full access for users who need it. We are running a mix of Office 2003, 2007 & 2010 and for the most part everything seems pretty smooth.

I'm finding Access 2010 to be a real PITA lately though, with inexplicable DB corruptions causing me real grief!

• Marked as answer by Bruce Song Thursday, September 22, 2011 8:27 AM
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 3:42 PM
  • You question I think is if they not running any other version of Access or not using other versions of Access? In that case, you should be just fine and you not experience any "re configuring" menus when you do this. This is even the case when other versions of Access are installed. If they are only running your application, then things should go quite smooth.

Albert D. Kallal  (Access MVP)
    Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 1:06 AM

All replies

• My experience of deploying Access 2010 into a mixed MS Office enviroment is pretty much, well, mixed. It certainly gives grief if you have any other version of access installed (mostly the office installer just keeps kicking in when users switch between RT2010 & Older versions), after a few moments the installer disappears & everything is ok for the version launched.

I have had the Office Installer kick up on systems without access installed but other office components are, but very very infrequently. Where ever possible I uninstall previous versions of access before installing the 2010 runtime, and only leave full access for users who need it. We are running a mix of Office 2003, 2007 & 2010 and for the most part everything seems pretty smooth.

I'm finding Access 2010 to be a real PITA lately though, with inexplicable DB corruptions causing me real grief!

Tuesday, September 13, 2011 3:42 PM
  • You question I think is if they not running any other version of Access or not using other versions of Access? In that case, you should be just fine and you not experience any "re configuring" menus when you do this. This is even the case when other versions of Access are installed. If they are only running your application, then things should go quite smooth.

Albert D. Kallal  (Access MVP)
    Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 1:06 AM