Moving the workflow to a different environment RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have an approval workflow created in SharePoint designer 2007 and the workflow is attached to a docement library based on InfoPath form. As it is an approval workflow, the workflow depends on custom task list as well to assign tasks for the approvers. The task list depends on custom content types that are created by the workflow at the time of development.

The workflow is created in development environment and now we would like to move the workflow along with the dependent objects (InfoPath form document library, custom task list, required content types) to production environment.

Please suggest how can we move the workflow from development to production environment.

We are using MOSS 2007 and SharePoint Designer 2007 is used to develop the workflow.

Thanks in advance,

Raghu

• Edited by ranumula Thursday, July 7, 2011 5:40 AM Added SharePoint version details
    Wednesday, July 6, 2011 3:23 PM

Answers

• Hi Raghu,

The default export/import command is not used with lists, you can create new commands that function almost identically to the existing import and export commands except that they work with lists. As I know, there is someone that already achieved it, if you will try this method, please refer to: http://blog.falchionconsulting.com/index.php/2007/09/importexportcopy-lists/

As the workflow will not be moved with lists, the SPD workflow embeds lots of specific GUIDs in the workflow XML when it is built, so I suggest you to recreate it instead of migrating.

From your description, I suggest save the lists as template, upload them in the new environment. You can try the follow steps:

1.        (In the develop environment)Go to settings->list settings, choose save list as template.

2.        (In the develop environment)Go to Site Actions->site settings, click list template, choose the template you save and click to save it to local.

3.        (In the production environment)Go to Site Actions->site settings, click list template, click upload, choose the list template you have saved to local.

4.        Recreate the content type and workflow.

Thanks,

Qiao Wei

• Marked as answer by Wayne Fan Monday, July 18, 2011 6:06 AM
    Saturday, July 9, 2011 9:39 AM

All replies

• Hi Raghu,

As best as I can tell, there isn't any direct way to move an SPD authored workflow.  SPD builds these from a library of compiled actions and literally "glues" them to your nominated site.  Visual Studio works around this by allowing a developer to package it as a solution, but this doesn't really help you.

What you can do is use STSADM for an export/import or a back-up/restore.  This will move the workflow but it WON'T preserve the status of any items that are currently mid-flow.  So, if you use this manner of moving your site, please ensure that you have no items in transit when attempting the move.

Steven Andrews | SharePoint Professional | http://www.twitter.com/backpackerd00d | https://baron72.wordpress.com/
    Thursday, July 7, 2011 8:09 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi Steven,

Thank you for your reply. I have the following question regarding STSADM tool.

When STSADM tool is used for export/import, we need to specify the site URL and it exports all the site content. However, as I need to move the workflow from development environment to production environment, I need to export only the lists and content types the workflow depend on and create it in production and I do not want other lists that are sitting in the development SharePoint site.

Is it possible to export specific lists and workflows using STSADM tool? I need not to export the list items as the dependendent lists need to be created anyway as we are moving it to production for the first time.

Thanks in advance,

Raghu

Friday, July 8, 2011 10:32 AM
  • Hi Raghu,

The default export/import command is not used with lists, you can create new commands that function almost identically to the existing import and export commands except that they work with lists. As I know, there is someone that already achieved it, if you will try this method, please refer to: http://blog.falchionconsulting.com/index.php/2007/09/importexportcopy-lists/

As the workflow will not be moved with lists, the SPD workflow embeds lots of specific GUIDs in the workflow XML when it is built, so I suggest you to recreate it instead of migrating.

From your description, I suggest save the lists as template, upload them in the new environment. You can try the follow steps:

1.        (In the develop environment)Go to settings->list settings, choose save list as template.

2.        (In the develop environment)Go to Site Actions->site settings, click list template, choose the template you save and click to save it to local.

3.        (In the production environment)Go to Site Actions->site settings, click list template, click upload, choose the list template you have saved to local.

4.        Recreate the content type and workflow.

Thanks,

Qiao Wei

• Marked as answer by Wayne Fan Monday, July 18, 2011 6:06 AM
    Saturday, July 9, 2011 9:39 AM