How to build and run Windows Store Apps? Error: Unable to activate Windows Store app, Windows was unable to communicate with the target application.

Question

• How do you run a Window Store application that is built using VC++/2012?  I have Windows 8 x64, with Visual Studio 2012 Premium, Visual C++, all latest updates.  I cannot run any "Windows Store" apps that I try to build myself in Visual C++. I create a new project by doing File->New Project, selecting 'Template/Visual++/Windows Store/Direct 2D App (XAML)'.  I do a clean and build, which works fine (no errors).  Then I select Debug->Start Without Debugging.  A gray screen shows up for less than a second, then it apparently crashes with the error message windows that says:

"Unable to activate Windows Store app '19b44c6b-...!App'. The activation request failed with error 'Windows was unable to communicate with the target application.  This usually indicates that the target application's process aborted.  More information may be available in the Debug pane of the Output window (Debug->Windows->Output). See help for advice on troubleshooting the issue.

This happens to every Windows Store app template i try to build using Visual Studio 2012/Visual C++.  Build output window has no information. 

"1>------ Deploy started: Project: Direct2DApp2, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
    1>Updating the layout...
    1>Deployment complete. Full package name: "83b9ff6c-ac94-44f7-bf76-5fd36bd52c8b_1.0.0.0_x86__y3xj2rahnfpjr"
    ========== Deploy: 1 succeeded, 0 failed, 0 skipped =========="

I can't find anything in the help files.  When i search online for this, i get suggestions like try cleaning and rebuilding, try removing your bin directory, etc..., nothing has worked so far.

Why can't i build a windows 8 application?  What is going on?

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 2:07 AM

Answers

• Same thing happens when I launch from the start screen. All other apps that I have downloaded from the Microsoft Store run fine. I just tried another computer and I can build/run just fine.

--Update-- I fixed the problem.  I renewed the developer's license on this computer (Project > Store > Acquire Developer License), did a rebuild and now it runs properly.

Friday, March 1, 2013 12:51 AM

All replies

• Does this occur only when debugging or also when launching from the start screen? If from the start screen, is this the case only for your own projects or does running apps from the store fail as well? Can you launch the app from a different user?

--Rob

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 10:48 PM
  • Same thing happens when I launch from the start screen. All other apps that I have downloaded from the Microsoft Store run fine. I just tried another computer and I can build/run just fine.

--Update-- I fixed the problem.  I renewed the developer's license on this computer (Project > Store > Acquire Developer License), did a rebuild and now it runs properly.

Friday, March 1, 2013 12:51 AM
  • Just had the same issue, after a while I found out that I added accidentally a coma in the name of project, like that: WinRTFromCS,

in my case this comma (accepted by VS) was the cause of the problem.

Monday, June 24, 2013 3:39 PM