Spatial types RRS feed

Answers

• I should say more about this on my blog...

The short answer is that we are reusing almost all of our CLR UDT architecture in creating these types.  From the point you have the type it will behave just like a UDT: you'll have methods on the type, it will be passed to clients as if it were a UDT, etc.  Internally, we're doing things a little bit differently so that they will just show up and won't have to be registered by the user.  Think of it as a "system CLR type".

Cheers,
    -Isaac

Saturday, June 16, 2007 4:57 PM

All replies

• As the datatypes have methods, I'm willing to say definitely yes:

http://blogs.msdn.com/isaac/archive/2007/05/16/sql-server-spatial-support-an-introduction.aspx

Saturday, June 16, 2007 1:25 PM
  • I should say more about this on my blog...

The short answer is that we are reusing almost all of our CLR UDT architecture in creating these types.  From the point you have the type it will behave just like a UDT: you'll have methods on the type, it will be passed to clients as if it were a UDT, etc.  Internally, we're doing things a little bit differently so that they will just show up and won't have to be registered by the user.  Think of it as a "system CLR type".

Cheers,
    -Isaac

Saturday, June 16, 2007 4:57 PM
  • Does I understand you right Isaac, that it behaves more or less like the xml data type? You don't see that as a CLR type either, do you?
    Saturday, June 16, 2007 9:28 PM
  • I hesitate to say that there any connection to the XML type.  There are some commonality in how we'll treat spatial types and XML when it comes to indexing, but even there the differences outweigh the similarities.  In terms of the types themselves, there's not much in common.  XML isn't built using the CLR, for example.

Cheers,

-Isaac

Saturday, June 16, 2007 11:49 PM
  • As both the owner of the XML datatype and the spatial indexing, there is quite a bit of difference in how we manage XML and the spatial types internally. However, we are using some similar approaches for the indexing that I will explain in more details once we make the functionality available in a CTP.

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 2:13 AM