Would like Aero Glass styling in Windows Developer Preview

General discussion

• Could you please bring back the Aero glass styling from Windows Vista/7 to the Aero theming in Windows 8? I find that the transparency effects in Win8 Aero are so subtle that they might as well not be there at all. I find the glass effect in Vista/7 to be very beautiful and modern-looking while the flat, square appearance of the desktop windows in Win8 just looks clunky and unattractive by comparison. Even centering the text in the window titles makes me feel like I'm back in Win3.1 instead of Win8!

I realize MS is positioning the Metro UI as the primary UI for casual Windows use but please don't forget that the desktop needs to be attractive as well!

Friday, September 16, 2011 6:39 PM

All replies

• I disagree.

The squared edges look much more elegant and clean. The rounded corners in previous versions of Aero never looked good simply because the dpi of current displays are not high enough to render a rounded edge properly. I do agree that the Windows 8 Aero windows do look a little flat - it seems all reflections and grades have been removed or made much more subtle.

In general I find it an improvement.

Friday, September 16, 2011 6:52 PM
  • I, too, liked things more transparent, though I always turned the Border down to 0.

Steven Sinofsky has said that people complained Windows 7 was too "pale" so they made things more "bold". Perhaps this is what he meant.

I think there's a registry key the system may respond to, but I don't know that registry tweaking is warranted in Windows 8 just yet...  Think I'll go see if it works...

-Noel

Friday, September 16, 2011 6:53 PM
  •  I find that the transparency effects in Win8 Aero are so subtle

You can increase transparency a little.

Right click the desktop, click Personalize, then click on Windows Color.

Move the Color Intensity bar to the left.

Transparency will increase, but the colors will fade the farther left you move it.

Friday, September 16, 2011 7:01 PM
  • Yeah, I looked at the Windows Color control panel. I don't think it looks good either way.

In any case, I didn't post to start a debate on whether Windows Vista/7 Aero glass looks good or not. I simply wanted to give my feedback to the Windows team that the desktop appearance looks flat and uninteresting compared to what came before. Sure, it's just my opinion and I can't claim that my opinion is any more valid than anyone else's. I figure the team will have feedback on both sides of the argument and they'll decide whether it is worth their time to make a change.

Friday, September 16, 2011 8:13 PM
  • I agree, I like the windows aero from 7 & vista much better!!
    Friday, December 30, 2011 3:07 PM
  • wait for the Windows 8 Beta and use modified themes. I'm sure someone on deviantart.com will provide such a theme.
    "A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Friday, December 30, 2011 4:23 PM
  • I simply wanted to give my feedback to the Windows team that the desktop appearance looks flat and uninteresting compared to what came before.

I'm sure the folks who worked their behinds off to add beautiful Aero visual styles to everything on the desktop, assuming they're still with Microsoft, turned it down only under strong duress from the people in Marketing who clearly want folks to appreciate the flat, uninteresting Metro look.  If the Desktop remains a pleasing 3D-like experience, the mind-jarring switch to Metro will be just that much more unpleasant.

It seems to me fashion has way too much to do with operating system UI design.  But alas, such is the necessary evil when we get the technology for so little money because the masses finance the huge development costs.

-Noel

My new eBook: Configure The Windows 7 "To Work" Options

Friday, December 30, 2011 4:50 PM