Building ASP.NET front end for TFS RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi

We have been using TFS for about 6 months now and it has been a roaring success! We have a couple of complex SOX compliant Work Items and we have code that handles work item changes etc.

Our Operations teams now want even more features and control added to the process. However, some of the stuff they want is so specific that I am not sure if they can be done using the TFS development tools (i.e. Process Editor and XML based forms etc). For example, some of the changes they want require complex cross field validation and form level validation of multiple fields, before a Work Item is can be saved.

The users also want changes to the VSTS Web Access tool e.g. as well as search by Work Item #, they want to be able to perform ad hoc searches on fields without having to create a Team Query every time. If you have used Quality Centre then you will know how easy it is to perform ad hoc searches there.

So here is the question ! Has anyone tried building their own ASP.NET front end for TFS? Is there any Microsoft best guidance on this? Essentially, we are thinking about a full blown SOX compliant project/portfolio management ASP.NET front end tool for 5 separate companies that are part of the Banking group that I work for. Down the line, there are requirements for linking into the Bank's SAP Financials system so costs etc can also be fed from TFS.

Any thoughts, help, advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
    • Changed type Ruiz YiModerator Thursday, September 17, 2009 2:26 AM Customer is unresponsive
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 8:37 AM

All replies

• You can add  extension to Team System Web Access, or use the controls included in TSWA

Best Regards,
    Ruiz
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Sincerely, Ruiz Yi
    Friday, September 11, 2009 7:55 AM
  • Hi Ruiz

Thanks for your reply.

Can you please provide any links for your first suggestion ("extension to Team System Web Access")? I have Googled but can't find anything on extending TSWA.

As for your second suggestion, I read Ahmet Ali Akkas document titled "Team System Web Access 2008 Power Tool Custom Work Item Control Support". Though useful, it seems like a half finished document (?), and it doesn't appear to be an official Microsoft document (?).

We have already made a substantial investment in TFS and are planning to do a lot more with it e.g. roll it out to the remaining four subsidary banks in the banking group I work for. So, I need to ensure that whatever we do is recommended by Microsoft and that it fits with the future versions of TFS. To that end, is there any official Microsoft Guidance on how to build a functionaly rich front end for TFS?

Thanks
    Amir
    Friday, September 11, 2009 10:27 AM
  • Hi Amir,

extension means you can add your own function to TSWA,
    For example
    1 You can add a new page for " ad hoc searches".
    2 When user type such a query "Select System.Id ,System.Title form workitem where System.Id >9" and submit, you can use TFS SDK API to get the WorKItem list, show the work items using GridView
    3 When user click a workitem, then open the new window "~/UI/Pages/WorkItems/WorkItemEdit.aspx?oqs=id%3d"+ID

Best Regards,
    Ruiz
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Sincerely, Ruiz Yi
    Monday, September 14, 2009 5:19 AM
  • We are changing the issue type to “Comment” because you have not followed up with the necessary information. If you have more time to look at the issue and provide more information, please feel free to change the issue type back to “Question” by editing your initial post and changing the radio button at the top of the post editor window. If the issue is resolved, we will appreciate it if you can share the solution so that the answer can be found and used by other community members having similar questions.
    Thank you!

Thursday, September 17, 2009 2:26 AM