none
Setup failed to install the required component Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express (MSSMLBIZ)

Question

• I Don't understand what this means: Everytime I try and install the disc 2 of my Office Small Business 2007, it gives the same message.  Help.

Microsoft SQL Server 2005 9.00.3042.00
    ==============================
    OS Version      : Home Edition  (Build 6000)
    Time            : Tue Jul 03 17:14:45 2007

Machine         : SWANNER-PC
    Product         : Microsoft SQL Server Setup Support Files (English)
    Product Version : 9.00.3042.00
    Install         : Failed
    Log File        : c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup0005_SWANNER-PC_SQLSupport_1.log
    Error Number    : 1618
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Product         : Microsoft SQL Server Native Client
    Log File        : c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup0005_SWANNER-PC_SQLNCLI_1.log
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Product         : Microsoft SQL Server VSS Writer
    Log File        : c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup0005_SWANNER-PC_SqlWriter_1.log

SQL Server Setup failed. For more information, review the Setup log file in %ProgramFiles%\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Summary.txt.

Time            : Tue Jul 03 17:15:12 2007

List of log files:
     c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup0005_SWANNER-PC_Core(Patched).log
     c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup0005_SWANNER-PC_SQLSupport_1.log
     c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup0005_SWANNER-PC_SQLNCLI_1.log
     c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup0005_SWANNER-PC_SqlWriter_1.log
     c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup0005_SWANNER-PC_Datastore.xml
     c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup0005_SWANNER-PC_.NET Framework 2.0.log
     c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup0005_SWANNER-PC_Support.log
     c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup0005_SWANNER-PC_Core.log
     c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Summary.txt
     c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup0005_SWANNER-PC_SCC.log

Wednesday, July 04, 2007 4:51 AM

All replies

• I have experienced the exact same frustrating problem on two different Laptops when trying to install Disc 2 of the Office 2007 package.  After over 2 HOURS on the phone with Microsoft support their only suggestion was to send 55 MB of log files to them so they could be "studied".  Microsoft was of no help to install their own application running on their own operating system (Windows XP SP2).  Suggestions on their support site were also not helpful as another 4 hours were wasted attempting their suggested solutions.  I am so soured over this waste of hours of my life and work time which I cannot get back that Windows Outlook will not grace the hard drive of my laptop nor will it any longer grace the network by the 30 employee company I run - it's back to Goldmine.  Give it up and get an app that works from a company that knows more about the MS Operating system than Microsoft Support.
    Thursday, July 05, 2007 8:24 PM
  • Has anyone come up with a solution for this?

I am working on a work-around for a Vista Ultimate Computer running Office 2007 SBE.  I have altered the install as they have multiple computers running Outlook 2003 with BCM and want to keep it that way.

I am currently running Vista Ultimate, Office 2007 (minus Outlook 2007), Office 2003 with BCM SP3.  I am trying to upgrade Outlook BCM to SP4 and I am coming up with the same error message.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BillH

Tuesday, July 10, 2007 4:26 AM
  • I think windows installer service is running parallely.
    Pls refer the link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/921110

Tuesday, July 10, 2007 4:48 AM
  • I have tried everything and cannot get BCM 2007  to install on my Laptop because of the same SQL error, has anyone found a solution?

Please Help!

Thanks!

Tuesday, August 07, 2007 7:00 PM
  • I'm having the same issue trying to install Office Pro disc 2 and running Windows XP HE V. 2002 SP2.  I've spent most of the day on this already.  I'd like the software to be released already tested and working.  I paid to much to be getting beta software!

Sunday, September 02, 2007 12:02 AM
  • It is September 10th, 2007. I have the same message and have pretty much the exact same "Summary" log file as the previous post.

I am not laughing. Bill has more of my money.

Strange, this little message, taken from the "Summary" file, sends you to get more info...in the "Summary" file where it was just read:

SQL Server Setup failed. For more information, review the Setup log file in %ProgramFiles%\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Summary.txt.

Joke's on us.

10 x=0

20 rem Bill Gates is taking you and I to the cleaners

30 rem ha ha ha

50 rem x is BGs bank account balance

60 x=x+1

70 print x

80 rem Bill is gloating or at least just does not give a hoot about your frustration

90 rem ha ha ha

100 go to 60

Does anybody have a solution to this SQL/BCM ditty? 

Monday, September 10, 2007 3:01 PM
  • Same issue. Anyone get it yet?

Monday, September 17, 2007 3:16 AM
  • Hi,

Please refer http://support.microsoft.com/kb/921110/en-us as Sagar said. This article could be also helpful:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822454/ 

Please follow the following steps to check if this resolves your problem:

1. Check Add/Remove Programs and find out if a Database Engine with the name that you are trying to install shows up under Microsoft SQL Server 2005.

2. If yes make sure you have a backup of all the Data and Log files for the SQL Server support if you are upgrading an existing installation. In case, this is a fresh installation, please ignore this step.

3. In case this is a fresh installation and the database engine is showing up in Add/Remove Prgorams, then uninstall all components of SQL Server 2005 following the KB Articles

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/909967

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa337087.aspx

4. If there are multiple installations of SQL Server on the box, please make sure that you are uninstalling the correct instance

5. Once the above steps are done, try installing the SQL Server 2005 instance again.

Please refer http://yukonspace.blogspot.com/2007/09/troubleshooting-sql-server-setup-and.html for further details.

HTH

Monday, September 17, 2007 11:17 AM
  • I am running Vista Home Premium and had the same problem installing Accounting Express 2007. SQL Server 2005 is the first thing that gets installed and I got the same failed response as above. I read something somewhere about the MSI.EXE had something to do with it. So while I was installing Accounting Express 2007 I was running the task manager and watching for the MSI.EXE to run and little did I know I saw "msiexec.exe" running intermittently during the install and each time it started I ended the process "msiexec.exe" until the SQL part of the install completed and then all ran smooth after that. I only ended the "msiexec.exe" process during the SQL part of the install. I had been working for a salution many hours. Finally I got the install to work. Good luck to all. Hope it works for you.

Saturday, October 06, 2007 3:58 AM
  • I've got the same problem - here are the details.

At the beginning of this year I purchased a Vista laptop  with Office 2007 Outlook BCM installed on it.

After some problems gettting BCM started(!) (yes problems even out the box) I completed my BCM evaluation and research what other contact managers where out there, and  made the commitment to upgrade my XP Prof Office 2003 . I purchased the Small Business 2007 upgrade version of office

My XP Prof Office 2003 upgraded OK to begin with, including BCM.

Then I got hit by a virus after temporarly disabling my Norton 360 when trying to sort out performance issues, and I ended up restoring the XP prof from scratch - what a pain!!.  

Everything went OK in restoring - except for installing BCM.

It first failed on installing .Net Framewarok v2.0 - and when I found a solution to that which required reinstalling the installer.

Then on trying to install Office Small Business 2007 2nd CD it      **!**failed**!**.

Boy I can see why salesforce.com is doing so well with contact manager concept as software service that just works. I thought this was tried and trued software - but two show stoppers on what seems to me to be a clean installation. 

Its after the 2nd Pass of the horizontal bar graph (very misleading to run these installation bar graph twice) and comess up with

Setup failed to install .... (MSSMLBIZ). See 90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\summary.txt

The summary.txt refers to other files.

After a couple of days I removed/uninstalled everything that had microsoft SQL in it from  "Add or Remove Programs" and then tried reinstall.

Again it failed.

Now I have the following in "add or remove programs"

Microsoft SQL Server native client

Microsoft SQL Server Setup Support files

Microsoft SQL Server VSS writer

I have looked at the http://support.microsoft.com/kb/909967 - but it makes me very nervous. It also doesn't say how to detect if the uninstall fails.

There is also how to read a  SQL installation

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms144287.aspx

which I guess I'm going to have to do ..

I installed mySql on a test machine last year, and it was a breeze. 

Any help greatfully received.

It would really nice to get a Microsoft insight into this as it seems this problem has been around for some time.

Wednesday, December 26, 2007 7:33 PM
  • Ok I got it solved. There was a hint of this on another installation. What I did  was
    Uninstall from control panel

Moved directory C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1 to another location for possible use.

Then deleted everything under Microsoft SQL Server  in c:\Program Files (Dunno if this was a good thing)

Reinstallaed - Praise the Lord it worked Hallulah!!!!

The hint from another message was that the ACLs have somehow got into a problem and it can't access them.

So deleted the root directory and everything underneath it and let setup recreate it.

This seems to have been an irrating problem that periodically occurs - looking at the traces of a few messages around.

Now its News Year eve and I can go party in style.

• Proposed as answer by Beits Livneh Tuesday, July 19, 2011 9:45 PM
    Tuesday, January 01, 2008 4:30 AM
  • Hey Neil,

Thank you for your post.  This worked for me as well -- and saved me tons of troubleshooting time!

Earlier I had uninstalled the SQL Server Setup Support Files, but not the other two nor did I delete the Microsoft SQL stuff in c:\program files

Also, I didn't have to reinstall the first disc, just the 2nd that was having the problems.

Anyway, everything works now.

Thanks again!

~scott

Thursday, January 03, 2008 11:23 PM
  • Today I purchased the upgrade Microsoft Office Small Business 2007.  I had been using the Trial version for the past 2 months and the trial period was almost up.  I had originally installed the programs on Disc 2, Accounting Express, and Business Contact Manager and then removed them because of an unrelated problem.  I went through the Conversion which went smoothly and then tried to install these two programs from the upgrade discs.

I had all the problems mentioned in this thread.  Finally I went to Plan B.  I located the SQLExpress Server install located in the SSE directory (on disc 2).  Clicked on SQLEXPR.EXE and found all the .msi files which for some strange reason ended up on my g: drive in a hidden directory.  (Maybe a different problem).  However it turns out that the install names the SQL Server "SQLExpress".  Which I believe is what makes the install fail.  During the install I unhid by removing a check mark then named it "MSSMLBIZ" a name appearing in the log.  Finished the install with it's new name "MSSMLBIZ" and did the complete install using Disc 2 and it went in and works properly.  Just thought readers of this thread might like to know about naming it "MSSMLBIZ".  Maybe Microsoft will read this and finally update the install instructions or fix the problem so the install works as intended.

Tuesday, January 08, 2008 4:05 AM
  • I did the following:

Installed SQL Express 2005 (default instance), full text and management studio express

Verified with Management Studio Express

Ran the install again, installer asks if you want the default instance or a named instance, I typed MSSMLBIZ in the instance name and viola, a second SQL directory was created and MSSMLBIZ appeared in the management studio.

The BCM install completed.

I only have one install of SQL Express in my add/remove programs so I am going to delete the SQLExpress directories.

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 11:43 AM
  • Just a real hearty thank you to NeilH10 for bothering to load his solution on NY eve. It has saved me a huge hassle after a major disk crash and repair just prior to Lunar NY. Cheers mate!

Friday, February 01, 2008 7:10 PM
  • I did exactly what Meatpuppet indicated and it worked perfect!

Thanks

Saturday, February 16, 2008 8:07 PM
  • Changing the SQL Server 2005 Express Edition install file to SP2 version worked for me.

See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/951451

Friday, July 25, 2008 9:37 PM
  • I ran into the same problem installing MS Office 2007 Pro on a Vista Machine.  I must have corrupted the disk 2 install when I put disk 1 in drive D and disk 2 in Drive E.  Both installs kicked off and I cancelled the disk 2 to let the first one complete.  Then ... I could not install disk 2 due to above SQL Server error.

In Vista, the Add/Remove Programs feature is called 'Programs and Features'  (under Control Panel).  I uninstalled the 3 components mentioned in NeilH10's article.  I then just renamed my 'Microsoft SQL Server' folder to 'Microsoft SQL Server backup'.

Fired up Disk 2, and successfully completed the install.

I think the MVP suggestion that the error occurs when duplicate installs occur was correct, but it doesn't tell you how to undo the condition.  I still got the error after rebooting - so I Know that 2 installs were not still running.

Saturday, October 04, 2008 3:28 PM
  • Hello, I'm hoping you can help me.
    I am running Vista Business, I had the trial version installed of Office Pro 2007, and got the same error about SQL  failing when I tried to install the second trial file.  We let it go for a while, but now we now have the full version of office pro 2007, and we still get the same sql error when installing the second cd with BCM.   I then came across your suggestions.  I uninstalled the sql components (I did not have the VSS one, but I uninstalled the other 2), moved the directory you mentioned, then deleted everything under the directory.  I ran the second cd install again, and I still got the same sql failure message.
    Do you have any other suggestions?
    Wednesday, October 08, 2008 8:22 PM
  • I did not 'move the directory and delete everything under the directory.'  I don't know if this makes a difference, but I RENAMED the old directory and let the CD create a new directory to put the files in.

Perhaps there were some hidden system files in the original directory that caused your problem.  Just a guess.
    I would also be sure to have rebooted the machine after removing the SQL components.  Sometimes there is a service running in memory that may cause a conflict.

These are just suggestions ... if we really knew what the issue was (or if Microsoft would publish a fix for it), they could probably tell us what to really do.

Good luck.
    Wednesday, October 08, 2008 10:50 PM
  • I have tried that as well and still no luck, same error.
    I have been searching the internet for days now and have tried at least 4 different tips to get around this problem, but none have worked.
    I'm hoping that someone will be able to figure out what the problem is.  This is really frustrating to say the least.
    Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thursday, October 09, 2008 10:32 PM
  • I've been battling this same problem, finally got around to reading the error message in the "setup bootstrap" folder of the Microsoft SQL Server folder in Program Files.

The text said the SQL installation could not complete onto a compressed drive. Opening Windows Explorer I went back to my Microsoft SQL folder and right clicked to bring up the "properties" screen.

In the "general" tab, click on the "advanced" button and uncheck "compress content to save disk space", click "OK", then click "apply", & finally "OK" to exit.

Doing this I did not have to remove any program,folder, or rename anything.

The installation went through without incident, I hope this information helps!

Saturday, October 11, 2008 6:26 AM
  • I just went into that folder, and there was no checkmark next to compress, so that didn't help.  Any other suggestions?
    I have tried everything else.
    Thursday, October 23, 2008 10:24 PM
  • Can someone provide me with the number for Microsoft Support?  I need to get BCM installed ASAP.
    Thursday, October 23, 2008 11:30 PM
  • i canot open outlook the programm search for server ? thanks.

Friday, November 21, 2008 1:50 PM
  •  

There may be multiple reasons this is failing and I think some of the replies here are working around different symptoms.  For me, there were two problems.

1. The first problem was that SQL Server 2005 Express was already on the machine (because this machine also has Visual Studio on it, but there are probably other ways to get SQL Server 2005 Express).  The BCM install detects this and then tries to run SQL Server 2005 Express setup to add an additional SQL Server "instance" for BCM's use - this instance is named MSSMLBIZ.  At that point, any issues with invoking the SQL Server 2005 Express installation logic to add this instance come into play.  In my case - may or may not be the case for you - that was the problem.  I discovered this by manually running SQL Server 2005 Express install from Add/Remove programs (just to see what it would do) and it showed a notice that it couldn't run because a reboot was pending on the machine.  This was probably from some other, unrelated install.  So I rebooted the machine - and the BCM install worked fine.  I suspect this is because this time when it ran the SQL Server 2005 Express install to add the MSSMLBIZ instance, it didn't see the reboot pending from a previous install, and so it worked.

Note that doing some of the other things - like uninstalling SQL Server - would also have worked around this, probably because you would have rebooted as part of that and you're getting back to a clean state for SQL Server 2005 Express install to run - but may not be necessary.

So the old adage of try rebooting worked in my case - try that first!

2. That solved the SQL Server install problem, but then the next problem arose - the Office 2007 Primary Interop Assemblies (affectionately known as PIAs - not to be confused with PITAs Smile) failed to install.  Looking in the log file showed that the install was trying to read from O2007PIA.MSI while the file on the installation source was named PIARedist.MSI.  The core reason here is that the Office 2007 PIAs were already installed (they also were installed by VS 2008) but were installed from an MSI file called "O2007PIA.MSI".  Now you would think that doesn't matter, but it does.  The workaround here was to copy the installation files to a local directory, and then copy the file from OFFICE\PIARedist.MSI and create another copy called OFFICE\O2007PIA.MSI; these files are the same.  The OFFICE directory is relative to wherever you created a copy of the instalation sources for BCM; in my case, I just put them in %TEMP% and then ran setup.exe from that directory.

Tuesday, November 25, 2008 9:42 PM
  • This worked exactly. I had the same problem last year when I first installed the small b 2007 upgrade and it toook a couple months of back and forth with Microsoft to solve it. and in the end I had no idea what they did to fix it. Recently I had to reinstall my op sysytem and I ran into the same problem. I absolutlely did not want to deal with Microsoft again so I googled the error message and found your post. This fix worked just as you said and it was super quick and easy. I have pasted it below in case anybody reads my post first or want proof.

thanks

k I got it solved. There was a hint of this on another installation. What I did  was
    Uninstall from control panel

Moved directory C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1 to another location for possible use.

Then deleted everything under Microsoft SQL Server  in c:\Program Files (Dunno if this was a good thing)

Reinstallaed - Praise the Lord it worked Hallulah!!!!

The hint from another message was that the ACLs have somehow got into a problem and it can't access them.

So deleted the root directory and everything underneath it and let setup recreate it.

This seems to have been an irrating problem that periodically occurs - looking at the traces of a few messages around.

Now its News Year eve and I can go party in style.

Wednesday, December 03, 2008 6:52 PM
  • I did not understand. you can explain better

IT IS GRATEFUL

Thursday, December 04, 2008 12:14 PM
  • Did anyone ever solved this? I'm having the same problem.
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 4:05 PM
  • There is a program called Windows Installer Clean Up here... http://download.microsoft.com/download/e/9/d/e9d80355-7ab4-45b8-80e8-983a48d5e1bd/msicuu2.exe

From all I read on the millions of posts all over the internet, the problem seems to show up when you have a previous installation of MSSQL Server and the "fix" is to erase that copy.  I tried uninstalling it repeatedly from the "add/remove programs" control panel with no luck.

That is because uninstalling it through the control panel doesn't get rid of everything and, for some reason I can't comprehend, Microsoft (1) knows this, (2) has released Windows Installer Cleanup to make up for the deficiency, and (3) hasn't been smart enough to pre-install the cleanup features into the control panel... but more on how pathetic this company is later.

For now, what I did was I downloaded the Cleanup utility from the link above, Installed it, then opened it (I only found it on the "all programs" sub-menu in the start menu).  Once you have it open, highlight these applications:

Then click remove.  Then restart windows and try to install Disc 2 again.

NOTE:  You MIGHT need to also use cleanup to get rid of MSXML 6 (that's not the complete name but Windows won't cooperate with me right now so I'm having trouble getting it - isn't Microsoft great? It's no surprise that Bill Gates is one of the richest men on earth! NOT!) AH, there it goes!  It is called "MSXML 6.0 Parser"... I *think* that installs along with SQL server and needs to be removed by cleanup as well (that's what I did and it worked) but I'm not certain.

HOPEFULLY Windows Installer Cleanup will fix the problem for everyone... somehow I doubt it since this problem has existed for almost 2 years and is all over the internet.  GOOD LUCK!

Thursday, June 04, 2009 12:27 AM
  • I have been through a few hours of troubleshooting this problem and, while this may not be absolutely true, I THINK I HAVE THE ULTIMATE SOLUTION TO THE SQL SERVER PROBLEM, AND IT'S NOT AS HARD AS YOU'D THINK.

I was worried when I tried to follow the advice of a previous post, because I could never locate any MSSQL file in the Microsoft SQL Server directory (maybe I didn't look hard enough, but it didn't matter).

The problem that I think is the major concern here is that some of the previously installed SQL Server stuff and this thing called MSXML 6 Service Pack 2 (aka Microsoft XML Core Services 6.0 Service Pack 2; previous versions of this have also caused me plenty of greif), which is part of the MS SQL Server Install package, is not actually compatable as is with some of the latest Windows Service Packs (specifically SP 3).

So here's what I did (please read completely before you try it):

1. (This step may take time and, I think, is optional) I found it helpful to be able to see how/which things weren't running smoothly before I tried to fix the problem. To see this, insert MS Office 2007 CD 2 into your computer, right click the CD Drive (right now it should be called MAGELLAN_EN-US if you live in the U.S. and you speak English) and choose "Open." Then click the folder SSE and double-click the SQLEXPR.EXE file. It then opens something that looks like an install wizard but isn't quite. Just follow whatever steps it gives you (you will pass a window that looked like it installed a list of items, but that is not the real install*) and stop when you come to a step titled Feature Selection. (On the previous step I kept the hide advanced configuration checked.) I clicked both trees of features and selected "Entire feature will be installed..." option, but I don't know if that is necessary. Then proceed through the steps, selecting whichever option requires the least input from you. Finally, you will get to a step that has an install button. Hit it and it will come up with a new step that, like an earlier one showed a list of items that were installing. This time, there will probably be a couple of things that fail, hence the failing of MSSQL Server 2005 when installing Office CD 2. Look at the list and you will see some of the things that fail are things that you need to uninstall or remove before this will work.
    *I forgot to mention that the first time I tried this, one of the items, "reboot," failed. After I restarted, it worked fine.

2. What you want is to uninstall anything that is related to the SQL Server from your Add/Remove Programs in your Control Panel.**
       This includes:
       - Microsoft SQL Server 2005 (If you had it or any previous version or derivative of that name, etc. get rid of it)
       - Microsoft SQL Server Native Client
       - Microsoft SQL Server Setup Support Files
       - Microsoft SQL Server VSS Writer
       - MSXML 6 Service Pack 2
       - MSXML 6.0 Parser
    **The catch, of course, is if you cannot uninstall any one or some of those items. To get around this, visit this post, http://www.ferolen.com/blog/error-install-ms-sql-server-express-in-windows-xp-sp3-msxml6-sp2/, and download the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility. Once installed, use this utiliy to force the removal of any of the things I mentioned above that Add/Remove Programs could not uninstall. If this still doesn't work, you may be able to manually uninstall some of those items following directions like this, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/909967.

3. You can either follow the directions in step 1. to install the MS SQL Server 2005 separately, or you can try installing the MS Office CD 2 again and it should do this automatically.

4. Try installing Office Disk 2 again, and it should work! But it may take a few more minutes to actually install the Office Small Business items.

Hopefully following these steps will solve your problem
    Saturday, July 18, 2009 5:01 PM
  • Ok, after 5 hours on the phone with microsoft, here is my solution:

Here is the background. Brand new Acer laptop. Had vista business on it, and then downgraded to XP Pro using the Acer restore images. Had free trials of Office 2007 Pro and McAfee etc. I uninstalled all the free trials, rebooted, installed Office 2007 Pro full version no problem, activated, worked great. Went to install BCM, boom. "The SQL service can't start". Then BCM would abort the install.

I tried ALL of the above solutions. Even went into the registry and deleted all the MSSQL entries, etc. Total clean install, still. "The SQL service can't start."

When I went into services ( start -> run -> services.msc ) and tried to start the SQL Server service it would give me an error saying "the service started but immediatly stopped".

After Microsoft connected into my machine remotely and tried everything, we looked over the log files and noticed whenever we tried to start the MS SQL service we would get an "access denied" message.

Fix:

Start the installation of SQL Server manually (using the SP2 download exe from Microsoft). When you get to the error, leave that screen up (don't cancel or close it) and then do this:

Start, Run, services.msc. Find SQL Server (MSSMLBIZ), double click on it. Click the "Log On" tab. Mine was set to "This Account: LocalAccount" and had some password typed in too. I changed it from "This Account" to "Local System account". Clicked OK. Right click on the SQL Server (MSSMLBIZ) service and hit start. TADA! It started.

Go back to the install screen. Click retry! WOOT! SQL finishes the install perfectly.

I then ran the setup.exe for BCM and it installed and is working beautifully :)

Hope this helps the people that all the other solutions didn't work for.

-Jamie M.
    Thursday, September 03, 2009 4:20 PM
  • What O.S are you using? I have Windows XP Pro.
    Friday, September 18, 2009 1:18 AM
  • NeilH10 - you are a god - thank you!

Your solution worked and compared to the song and dance MS wanted me to pull using one of their 6 page long solutions - this worked perfectly!
    Saturday, January 16, 2010 7:54 PM
  • If that is the only instance of SQL, then you might be OK. If you uninstall Setup Support Files, then it affects all instances installed on the box. There is a reason we ask you follow a series of steps. If there were an easier way for resolving setup issues, we would suggest them. Sometimes, a series of long steps are necessary to make sure that you don't run into a horde of other issues in the future.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    My Blog: http://troubleshootingsql.wordpress.com
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/banerjeeamit
    Sunday, January 17, 2010 2:45 PM
  • Dear All,

Plz use below method explained in link. I tried all the above but this worked in my Windows XP SP3.

Sunday, January 24, 2010 2:16 PM
  • What a pain in the.

I read the log that was referred on the error message, and noted that it couldn't find the Primary Interop Assembly file.

When you initiate the install of BCM 2007, it makes a temp file under C:\, before you click next, go into that file and rename "piaredist" to "o2007pia".

Then the BCM will load.

Thursday, September 23, 2010 5:52 AM
  • I've run into this plenty with Office Accounting, Office Acccounting Express, and MS SQL Server 2005 Express.

If you have Windows XP SP3, and , or MSXML6 SP2

You will not be able to install the above products with out fixing you MSXML6 file

Go here and run Microsoft Fix It Tool 50568

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/968749

Very Very Easy Fix

Let me know if this helps

• Proposed as answer by wwwrench Friday, September 16, 2011 5:10 AM
    Friday, September 16, 2011 5:10 AM