none
Does Datagridview's onhandlecreated event have access to private members set in the constructor? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a custom datagridview and the code in the onhandlecreated event handler does not seem to be able to access private members set in the constructor. Whenever I attempt to get in there and use the private members (that are quite definitely set in the constructor) they are null.

I am using this handler to get my data, filter the rows and then juggle the data into the grid in a very specific format, I'd be ok with using a different event if there's one that suits my purpose better. 

Please help, I'm under a deadline and have been stuck for hours with no useful hits.

Always keep searching and hoping. The minute you stop moving, you start dying.

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 3:44 PM

Answers

• SOLVED!

the problem was that the designer was instantiating the control with a null argument to the filters. the cleanest fix I could figure out was to instantiate the custom grid from the form's constructor and set the design options at run time. 

• Marked as answer by CodeNinjaYoda Wednesday, June 27, 2012 5:09 PM
    Wednesday, June 27, 2012 5:09 PM

All replies

• It really hard to follow you. Would it possible for you to post the code ?

Regards

Nairs

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 4:26 PM
  • Stripped down code:

public partial class CustomGrid : DataGridView { private FilterSaveData filters; public CustomGrid (FilterSaveData StartFilters) : base() { this.filters = new FilterSaveData(); this.filters = StartFilters; } protected override void OnHandleCreated(EventArgs e) { base.OnHandleCreated(e); /** bunch of stuff that does not touch internal variable, basically loading datatables from dataset etc.. **/ if (this.filters.Opportunities.Length > 0) { /** apply custom rowfilter to datatable **/ } }

the issue is that this.filters is null. 

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 4:32 PM
  • SOLVED!

the problem was that the designer was instantiating the control with a null argument to the filters. the cleanest fix I could figure out was to instantiate the custom grid from the form's constructor and set the design options at run time. 

• Marked as answer by CodeNinjaYoda Wednesday, June 27, 2012 5:09 PM
    Wednesday, June 27, 2012 5:09 PM