How to use the thread handle when replacing Windows CreateThread with std::thread? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We have the below code that was written using CreateThread.

HANDLE       m_hReceiveThread ;

void CUPSData::createUPSThread() { m_hReceiveThread = CreateThread(NULL, 0, (LPTHREAD_START_ROUTINE)ReceiveDataFromUPS,(LPVOID)this, NULL, NULL); if (NULL != m_hReceiveThread) { printToUPSFile(UPS_LOG_INFO, " receive thread started");

} else { printToUPSFile(UPS_LOG_ERROR, " Unable to start receive thread"); g_bUPSFail = true; } }

void CUPSData::ReceiveDataFromUPS(LPVOID f_data) { printToUPSFile(UPS_LOG_INFO, "Start"); CUPSData *l_hclassInstance = (CUPSData *)f_data;

f_data->receiveData(); }

I was asked to replace CreateThread with std::thread. Using std::thread, I am writing like as shown below:

std::thread(ReceiveDataFromUPS, this);

But, when replacing Windows CreateThread with std::thread, how to use the HANDLE (m_hReceiveThread) as this handle is using in many other places. 

for eg, this handle is using in other function like (DWORD dwWaitResult = WaitForSingleObject(m_hReceiveThread, INFINITE);

Could someone please help me with their inputs?

Regards,

Monday, June 29, 2020 12:59 PM

Answers

• Thank you all for your inputs:

Based on your inputs, I changed the code like as shown below:

std::thread      m_hReceiveThread;

void CUPSData::createUPSThread()
    {	
    m_hReceiveThread = std::thread(ReceiveDataFromUPS, this);
    if (m_hReceiveThread.joinable())
    {		
    printToUPSFile(UPS_LOG_INFO, " receive thread started");	}	
    else	
    {		
    printToUPSFile(UPS_LOG_ERROR, " Unable to start receive thread");		
    g_bUPSFail = true;	
    }
    }

Read the documentation for the constructor of a thread object carefully.  What happens if the constructor fails to create a thread?  Hint -- think exceptions.  Do you need to test for success with joinable()?

I am also using m_hReceiveThread in the below function.

Here, I replaced WaitForSingleObject with m_hReceiveThread.native_handle()

if(m_hReceiveThread.joinable()) { DWORD l_exitCode = NULL; /////////Waiting to thread successfully closed

GetExitCodeThread(m_hReceiveThread, &l_exitCode); if (l_exitCode == STILL_ACTIVE) { // Replaced WaitForSingleObject with m_hReceiveThread.native_handle()

m_hReceiveThread.native_handle(); if (m_hReceiveThread.native_handle() == WAIT_OBJECT_0)

{ printToUPSFile(UPS_LOG_INFO, "WaitForSingleObject Return :WAIT_OBJECT_0");

}

else { printToUPSFile(UPS_LOG_INFO, "WaitForSingleObject Failed");

} } if (CloseHandle(m_hReceiveThread)) { printToUPSFile(UPS_LOG_INFO "Successfully ThreadHandle Closed"); } m_hReceiveThread = NULL; }

This doesn't make sense.  In your example, m_hReceiveThread is a std::thread object.  A call to m_hReceiveThread.native_handle() returns the HANDLE of the underlying Windows thread.

Why would you think that m_hReceiveThread.native_handle() is equivalent to WaitForSingleObject?

Did you even try to compile this code?

How to use std::thread variable with GetExitCodeThread Windows function?
    How to use std::thread variable with CloseHandle Windows function?
    And also how to set the std::thread variable with NULL?

GetExitCodeThread requires a HANDLE.  We already showed you how to obtain a HANDLE from a std::thread object.

Why would you ever want to call CloseHandle when working with std::thread?  Same question for setting it to NULL.  If you want to know if a std::thread object has an associated thread then look at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/cpp/standard-library/thread-class?view=vs-2019#get_id

• Marked as answer by David student Tuesday, June 30, 2020 3:57 PM
    Monday, June 29, 2020 5:58 PM
  • Here, I replaced WaitForSingleObject with m_hReceiveThread.native_handle()

I'm curious as to how you decided that this is what you should do. Where did you get the idea that m_hReceiveThread.native_handle() was equivalent to WaitForSingleObject(reinterpret_cast<HANDLE>(m_hReceiveThread.native_handle()), INFINITE) or even m_hReceiveThread.join()?

Read the documentation or even the post you are directly replying to. It helps if you understand what you are doing if you use these libraries.

Well, since the native_handle member function is clearly documented to return the thread's HANDLE on Windows:

std::thread my_thread = /*initialise the thread*/;
    DWORD exit_code = 0;

GetExitCodeThread(reinterpret_cast<HANDLE>(my_thread.native_handle()), &exit_code);

is obvious, right?

You don't this is wrapped in the thread object and destroyed when the variable goes out of scope or a new thread assigned.

You don't this is wrapped in the thread object and cleaned up when the variable goes out of scope or a new thread assigned.

But as already mentioned, you must call join or detach on the thread object before it goes out of scope or you reassign it.

This is a signature. Any samples given are not meant to have error checking or show best practices. They are meant to just illustrate a point. I may also give inefficient code or introduce some problems to discourage copy/paste coding. This is because the major point of my posts is to aid in the learning process.

Monday, June 29, 2020 6:09 PM

All replies

• You should always use the documentation to answer this kind of question.

As an example, the documentation gives this.

This is a signature. Any samples given are not meant to have error checking or show best practices. They are meant to just illustrate a point. I may also give inefficient code or introduce some problems to discourage copy/paste coding. This is because the major point of my posts is to aid in the learning process.

Monday, June 29, 2020 1:02 PM
  • See https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/cpp/standard-library/thread-class?view=vs-2019#native_handle

Also, when using std::thread you must call std::thread.join() before the std::thread object goes out of scope and its destructor runs unless you first detach the Windows thread from the std:: thread object by calling std::thread.detach().

Monday, June 29, 2020 1:09 PM
  • Instead of a member variable of type HANDLE, you'd have a member variable of type std::thread.

WaitForSingleObject(m_hReceiveThread, INFINITE) is replaced by m_myThread.join()

That's pretty much the only thing you can do with std::thread - wait for it to finish. If the current code is using m_hReceiveThread for anything more complicated than that, you'd need to use m_myThread.native_handle()

Igor Tandetnik

Monday, June 29, 2020 2:45 PM

{	
    {		
    else	
    {		
    g_bUPSFail = true;	
    }
    }

if(m_hReceiveThread.joinable()) { DWORD l_exitCode = NULL; /////////Waiting to thread successfully closed

GetExitCodeThread(m_hReceiveThread, &l_exitCode); if (l_exitCode == STILL_ACTIVE) { // Replaced WaitForSingleObject with m_hReceiveThread.native_handle()

m_hReceiveThread.native_handle(); if (m_hReceiveThread.native_handle() == WAIT_OBJECT_0)

}

} } if (CloseHandle(m_hReceiveThread)) { printToUPSFile(UPS_LOG_INFO "Successfully ThreadHandle Closed"); } m_hReceiveThread = NULL; }

From the above function, Please help me: 

Monday, June 29, 2020 4:34 PM

{	
    {		
    else	
    {		
    g_bUPSFail = true;	
    }
    }

Read the documentation for the constructor of a thread object carefully.  What happens if the constructor fails to create a thread?  Hint -- think exceptions.  Do you need to test for success with joinable()?

}

This doesn't make sense.  In your example, m_hReceiveThread is a std::thread object.  A call to m_hReceiveThread.native_handle() returns the HANDLE of the underlying Windows thread.

Why would you think that m_hReceiveThread.native_handle() is equivalent to WaitForSingleObject?

Did you even try to compile this code?

GetExitCodeThread requires a HANDLE.  We already showed you how to obtain a HANDLE from a std::thread object.

Why would you ever want to call CloseHandle when working with std::thread?  Same question for setting it to NULL.  If you want to know if a std::thread object has an associated thread then look at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/cpp/standard-library/thread-class?view=vs-2019#get_id

• Marked as answer by David student Tuesday, June 30, 2020 3:57 PM
    Monday, June 29, 2020 5:58 PM
  • Here, I replaced WaitForSingleObject with m_hReceiveThread.native_handle()

I'm curious as to how you decided that this is what you should do. Where did you get the idea that m_hReceiveThread.native_handle() was equivalent to WaitForSingleObject(reinterpret_cast<HANDLE>(m_hReceiveThread.native_handle()), INFINITE) or even m_hReceiveThread.join()?

Read the documentation or even the post you are directly replying to. It helps if you understand what you are doing if you use these libraries.

Well, since the native_handle member function is clearly documented to return the thread's HANDLE on Windows:

std::thread my_thread = /*initialise the thread*/;
    DWORD exit_code = 0;

GetExitCodeThread(reinterpret_cast<HANDLE>(my_thread.native_handle()), &exit_code);

is obvious, right?

You don't this is wrapped in the thread object and destroyed when the variable goes out of scope or a new thread assigned.

You don't this is wrapped in the thread object and cleaned up when the variable goes out of scope or a new thread assigned.

But as already mentioned, you must call join or detach on the thread object before it goes out of scope or you reassign it.

Monday, June 29, 2020 6:09 PM