How to Modify Excel Connection to bring data from SSAS tabular instead of PowerPivot. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have excel file with around 10 sheets and all sheets are getting data from Sql Server DB via PowerPivot. Now in SSAS I have imported this PowerPivot as Tabulat DB.

Question: Is there a way I can now decouple PowerPivot and read data from SSAS tabular DB instead PowerPivot? I can create new .XLSX file and bring data from SSAS but doing this I have to re-do all my graph etc again which I created using data from PowerPivot.

Thanks

Thursday, March 3, 2016 3:19 AM

Answers

• Hi MeRookie,

It's not supported directly changing different type data source to feed Pivot table in Excel. You have to create new connection and pivot table.

Regards,

Simon Hou
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, March 7, 2016 1:52 AM

All replies

• Hi, MeRookie

This is the forum to discuss questions and feedback for Excel for Developers, I'll move your question to the MSDN forum for SQL Server Analysis Services

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/home?forum=sqlanalysisservices

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents,
    and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us.

Thanks for your understanding.

Friday, March 4, 2016 8:43 AM
  • Hi MeRookie,

In this scenario, since you already import powerpivot as Tabular database and deploy it onto SSAS tabular server, you just need to directly open connection to SSAS tabular server and select your deployed database. The connection definition can be like below:

Regards,

Simon Hou

Friday, March 4, 2016 9:00 AM
  • Thanks Simon for your consideration.

My problem is not how to connect to SSAS tabular I can connect and create Pivot table and chart. My issue I have  existing excel file with several sheets bringing data via PowerPivot  all I am trying to find is to switch data source from PowerPivot to SSAS without re-doing all Pivot tables and charts.

Thanks a again.

Saturday, March 5, 2016 12:07 AM
  • Hi MeRookie,

It's not supported directly changing different type data source to feed Pivot table in Excel. You have to create new connection and pivot table.

Regards,

Simon Hou

Monday, March 7, 2016 1:52 AM