Azure File Storage over VPN? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Azure Guy,

I have some question about File Storage on Azure public, i know azure file storage can direct access from client ( Map Drive ) to file storage via internet under SMB 3.0 protocol.  but, if i must access to azure file storage from client ( Map Drive ) to file storage on Azure via VPN tunnel ( Point to Site, Site to Site ) for make sure security during transfer file over public internet link. it's possible? and how to configure? can you suggest me for implement in this my question.

Many Thanks.

za_phu

Thursday, July 6, 2017 4:49 PM

All replies

• If you want to use a VPN, instead of using the File Storage, you can just deploy a VM inside the virtual network which you have access to over the VPN, then share the drive as normal and map it using the internal IP over your VPN.
    Friday, July 7, 2017 12:05 AM
  • Hi Nick,

I have same question, so we need consume one Azure Internal VM guest for file share through Site to Site VPN?

We can't through Site to Site VPN to direct access Azure file storage ?

Thanks.

Friday, July 7, 2017 2:33 PM
  • Hi za_phu,

Adding to Mick answer                                                                                                     You can enhance Azure FIle storage  security by turning on  "Secure transfer required" option enable.

"When you are using the Azure Files service, any connection without encryption fails when "Secure transfer required" is enabled. "  Refer link - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-in/azure/storage/storage-require-secure-transfer

Further SMB security details ,you can go through below links

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn551363%28v=ws.11%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/filecab/2012/05/03/smb-3-security-enhancements-in-windows-server-2012/

Hope this will fulfill your requirement.

Thanks

• Edited by Nazre1 Friday, July 14, 2017 8:11 AM
    Friday, July 7, 2017 3:20 PM
  • VPN to Azure Storage is not supported from on premises today. This guide captures the current available work around.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Do click on "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members.

Friday, July 7, 2017 3:39 PM
  • This deep dive session contains a review of Files Storage scenarios and an introduction to exciting new capabilities that enable Files Storage to securely bridge on-premises and cloud based workloads. Mapping the file share on your on premise workstation will also provide security as compared with a encrypted VPN tunnel offering. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Do click on "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members.

• Edited by Loydon Mendonca Tuesday, July 11, 2017 11:02 AM Added alternative if the OP wants to check.
    Saturday, July 8, 2017 12:05 PM
  • Hi Nick,

Thanks for suggestion, i thinks like me.

i have another question about File Share. Azure have backup services for File Share? or Have solution for File Share backup?

Thanks.

Saturday, July 8, 2017 3:22 PM
  • Currently you can’t backup Azure file share using Azure Backup. Our engineers are actively working on an Azure Backup solution for Azure Files. Leave your feedback here.

You can utilize AzCopy/Robocopy tools to backup a mounted file share as a workaround.

• Edited by vikranth s Monday, July 10, 2017 4:26 PM Link
    • Proposed as answer by vikranth s Tuesday, July 11, 2017 1:20 PM
    Sunday, July 9, 2017 2:24 PM