none
Import settings from VS2010 to VS2017

Question

• I have a .vssettings file exported from Visual Studio 2010. I want to import the colors (Options>Environment>Fonts and Colors) in Visual Studio 2017. That of course fails with a success message (yes that's not a typo) and the colors are not imported. I've examined the files and I've realized that the structure for some (serious I want to believe) reason had to change.

So the question is can I import VS 2010 settings into VS 2017 without shooting myself?

Sunday, April 23, 2017 9:22 AM

Answers

• Hi Stelios,

Thank you for your detail description and feedback.

I tested the same field 'User Types (User Types - Enums) ' in my VS 2010 or directly imported your VS setting file into the VS 2017 and got the same result like yours, so I reported this issue to the VS Product Team, please check this: Import VS2010.vssettings(Fonts and Color>User Types - Enums) into VS 2017 and it not works and thank you so much for your feedback.

Now we need to waiting for the response from the VS Product Team and sorry for this inconvenience.

Meanwhile, I tested other fields like 'Plain Text', 'Line Number' in the VS 2010 and import into the VS 2017 and those fields works fine. In VS 2015, I tested the same filed 'User Types (User Types - Enums) and imported into VS 2017, it also look good. It looks like only in VS 2010 this filed have this issue.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, April 25, 2017 7:32 AM

All replies

• Hi Stelios,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

>>That of course fails with a success message (yes that's not a typo) and the colors are not imported.

Did you meet any error message? If so, could you please share the screenshot. It will help us to analysis this issue.

Since you only want to import the Fonts and Colors, when you import the VS 2010 settings file, in the list of categories, please only check the option ‘Options>Environment>Fonts and Colors’ like the following:

I tried to modify the Fonts and Colors in VS 2010 and imported to the VS 2017, it looks like successfully as below: (since there has lots of changes from VS 2010 to VS 2017, some fields may be removed or upgraded)

If you already only just checked the above option, could you please upload your setting files to https://onedrive.live.com/ and share the link in here, I will import into my VS 2017 to check if this issue caused by your setting file or VS 2017, or if you remember the changes that you made in VS 2010 under Fonts and Colors, you can also share it and so I can test it on my side, thank you for your cooperation.

Now for the recently VS versions like VS 2013, VS 2015 and VS 2017, you can personalize and optimize your development experience in Visual Studio if you sign in to it by using a Microsoft account, so if you sign in with your Microsoft account on another computer or other VS version, those settings will auto synchronize, please check this: Signing into Visual Studio

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 24, 2017 6:18 AM
  • Hello Sara,

Thanks for the reply. No I don't see an error. What I mean with that "fails with success message" is that while I get a message "All settings have been restored" (or something similar I don't remember exactly), I check for the colors I was expecting to change and they are the defaults. Try Type (Delegate) or Type (Interface) or Type (Enum) colors.

When I export the same colors from VS2017 and explore the vssettings file, I see that the particular item names have changed in the file while in VS options the display names are the same.

As I don't have access right now, I will upload later the vssettings file when I get home, along with more details and some screenshots.

Regards
    Stelios Adamantidis

Monday, April 24, 2017 11:19 AM
  • So here it is:

I export that

As I've already exported only the fonts and colors I choose only them

--PART 1--
    Monday, April 24, 2017 8:39 PM
  • --PART 2--

Ok sorry but I cannot fight with the editor, I get the dreaded Body must be 4 to 60000 characters long described in this thread when I try to add 2 more screens

The settings file is here

Best regards

Stelios

PS To whom it may concern: the message editor needs really really REALLY hard work just to be half way to user friendly...

Edit screen 3 and screen 4

Monday, April 24, 2017 8:59 PM
  • Hi Stelios,

Thank you for your detail description and feedback.

I tested the same field 'User Types (User Types - Enums) ' in my VS 2010 or directly imported your VS setting file into the VS 2017 and got the same result like yours, so I reported this issue to the VS Product Team, please check this: Import VS2010.vssettings(Fonts and Color>User Types - Enums) into VS 2017 and it not works and thank you so much for your feedback.

Now we need to waiting for the response from the VS Product Team and sorry for this inconvenience.

Meanwhile, I tested other fields like 'Plain Text', 'Line Number' in the VS 2010 and import into the VS 2017 and those fields works fine. In VS 2015, I tested the same filed 'User Types (User Types - Enums) and imported into VS 2017, it also look good. It looks like only in VS 2010 this filed have this issue.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support

Tuesday, April 25, 2017 7:32 AM
  • Hello Sara,

Thanks for creating the issue, I voted for it. Let's hope that it won't be considered minor and that it will be fixed. My impression is there are many VS2010 users out there so it might worth the pain fixing it.

Regards

Stelios

Wednesday, April 26, 2017 8:39 AM
  • Hi Stelios,

Thank you for your confirmation and I found you already added a comment in that thread, if there have any update and I will also add it in here.

BTW, if you think my reply is helpful, please mark it as answer and that will help other community members who meet the same or similar issue to easier search this information, know the detail information or the progress of this issue, thank you for your understanding.

If you have any other issue about VS IDE, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support

Wednesday, April 26, 2017 9:40 AM