Are linked servers an issue on SQL Server 2008 R2 64 bit platform? RRS feed

• Question

• Recently a Microsoft employee strongly recommended not using linked servers at all.   I have a different thread on this topic which died.  However, I'd like to get feedback regarding linked servers on SQL Server 2008 R2 64 bit platforms.
    michelle jenks
    Tuesday, May 17, 2011 7:14 PM

Answers

• Hello,

I have a few SQL Server instances (2008/2008 R2) connected to Oracle servers using linked servers and ODBC. All of these instances are installed on Windows Server 2008 R2, and creating linked servers on these 64-bit instances is the same as in 32-bit operating systems, but please take in consideration the following:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942976

Most of these linked servers are critical for our commercial stores, and have never failed.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

• Proposed as answer by Mr. Wharty Wednesday, May 18, 2011 11:17 AM
    • Marked as answer by MichelleJenks Monday, May 23, 2011 12:41 PM
    Wednesday, May 18, 2011 11:00 AM

All replies

• Hello,

I have a few SQL Server instances (2008/2008 R2) connected to Oracle servers using linked servers and ODBC. All of these instances are installed on Windows Server 2008 R2, and creating linked servers on these 64-bit instances is the same as in 32-bit operating systems, but please take in consideration the following:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942976

Most of these linked servers are critical for our commercial stores, and have never failed.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

• Proposed as answer by Mr. Wharty Wednesday, May 18, 2011 11:17 AM
    • Marked as answer by MichelleJenks Monday, May 23, 2011 12:41 PM
    Wednesday, May 18, 2011 11:00 AM
  • Thanks for the quick reply Alberto.

Have you heard or read of any concerns/issues from Microsoft regarding VAS (memtoleave) on SQL Server 2008 R2 (64 bit platform)?

michelle jenks
    Wednesday, May 18, 2011 11:19 AM
  • Hello,

VAS was mainly a concern on SQL Server 2000. With SQL Server 2005 and later you can use DMVs to troubleshoot VAS issues (like DMV sys.dm_os_memory_clerks).

I have found that setting the max server memory on all 64-bit instances helps to assure some memory for VAS and provides better performance.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Wednesday, May 18, 2011 1:10 PM
  • Thanks again Alberto.    

We were on a phone call with a Microsoft employee who stated that he would never use linked servers due to VAS (memtoleave) issues.   He was well aware that we were SQL2005 32 bit going to SQL2008 64 bit soon.  My manager then wrote down as a best practice not to use them at all in production applications.  And that what was there could remain as is.    I checked the DMVs for VAS pressure, and did not see any negative effect to the server. 

Do you think this was just one employee's opinion at Microsoft - or - do you think Microsoft would back up that best practice as well.   I have not seen anything from Microsoft that discourages the use of linked servers.  

michelle jenks
    Thursday, May 19, 2011 11:52 PM