none
Missing web Templates for C# in Visual Studio 2015 RRS feed

• Question

• I have installed Visual Studio 2015 and added the ASP.Net Core after installing the same Web Templates have been found Missing. 

I have Tried Repair of the Visual Studio but did not Help. How can Get the Web Templates?

saikalyan

Friday, June 10, 2016 2:31 PM

Answers

• Dear saikalyan,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

What’s your VS 2015 edition and the installed ASP.NET Core version? How did you add the ASP.NET Core?

I have tried install the .NET Core RC2 and I found the C#--Web templates still display on the NEW Project (VS enterprise 2015 with update 2 version) as the following screenshot:

Please go to the project store folder like C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE\ProjectTemplates and check if the CSharp/Web folder. if this folder and its subitems are existing, Please open an administrative CMD window and navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE and run the following commands:

devenv /resetuserdata

devenv /resetSettings

devenv /InstallVSTemplates

if you find the web templates are missing after the ASP.NET Core is installed, please try to uninstall the ASP.NET Core and check the web templates again. Or you can have try to uninstall VS 2015 and install the latest VS 2015 with update 2 versions.

If this issue still persists, I need your help to gather the logs. please run the command: devenv /log in the evaluated command prompt. And upload the file (%APPDATA%\Microsoft\VisualStudio\Version\ActivityLog.xml) to https://onedrive.live.com/ and share the link here.

Best regards,

Sara

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, June 13, 2016 1:50 AM

All replies

• Dear saikalyan,

What’s your VS 2015 edition and the installed ASP.NET Core version? How did you add the ASP.NET Core?

I have tried install the .NET Core RC2 and I found the C#--Web templates still display on the NEW Project (VS enterprise 2015 with update 2 version) as the following screenshot:

Please go to the project store folder like C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE\ProjectTemplates and check if the CSharp/Web folder. if this folder and its subitems are existing, Please open an administrative CMD window and navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE and run the following commands:

devenv /resetuserdata

devenv /resetSettings

if you find the web templates are missing after the ASP.NET Core is installed, please try to uninstall the ASP.NET Core and check the web templates again. Or you can have try to uninstall VS 2015 and install the latest VS 2015 with update 2 versions.

If this issue still persists, I need your help to gather the logs. please run the command: devenv /log in the evaluated command prompt. And upload the file (%APPDATA%\Microsoft\VisualStudio\Version\ActivityLog.xml) to https://onedrive.live.com/ and share the link here.

Best regards,

Sara

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, June 13, 2016 1:50 AM
  • I have the same issue running VS2015 Professional with all patches and updates applied. I tried the commands you provided but still not able to see a web folder under C# templates. Couldn't MS just add the templates to the online list so we can select from online?

OneDrive is blocked from our corporate firewall so not able to upload the log file.

Thursday, July 28, 2016 3:30 PM
  • Hi Brian,

It looks like your issue is not totally same with saikalyan, there have many reasons that may be lead to the templates missing, I recommend you open a new thread for your issue, it will also help us to fetch the detail information about your issue and provide more possible workarounds, thank you for your understanding.

Bes regards,

Sara

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place. Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Proposed as answer by tomcat112 Tuesday, September 13, 2016 1:59 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by tomcat112 Tuesday, September 13, 2016 1:59 PM
    Monday, August 1, 2016 2:03 AM
  • I was not able to see the asp.net core web application templates too and I have VS2015 update 3. I installed NET Core 1.0.0 - VS 2015 Tooling Preview 2

https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=824849

I hope this will help.

Tuesday, September 13, 2016 2:07 PM
  • Hi tomcat112,

According to your description, your issue is the asp.net core web application template not display, but the original issue of this thread is the web templates were missing after the installation of the asp.net core. Since the issue is different, please open a new thread for your issue and it will help us to continue researching your issue and also convenient for us to trace it, thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Sara

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place. Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, September 14, 2016 5:55 AM
  • Ok first off, why does msdn always repost an answer twice. God that is frustrating.

Also, I too have this issue. I go to add files to my project, and it can't make anything except .SQL and .Txt files. C# class template is missing, all web templates are missing. 

I ran devenv /InstallVSTemplates  (which should've been done when I installed the product I might point out..)

This fixed it for me. Even though I tried that once before while vstudio was running and after restart it hadn't worked. So I think that should be mentioned. Close vstudio. Elevate cmd, and run it.

Ridiculous! So hard to find good help on this, because all anyone talks about is MVC. Has nothing to do with MVC or the .net version or the new MVC version.

Thursday, September 29, 2016 2:07 PM
  • Hi ensemblebd,

Welcome to the MSDN forum and sorry for this inconvenient.

It looks like your issue is solved by the command: devenv /InstallVSTemplates, right? If so, thank you very much for your sharing, it will help other community members who have the same issue.

>>I go to add files to my project, and it can't make anything except .SQL and .Txt files. C# class template is missing, all web templates are missing. 

It looks like you cannot find the web template under the New Item windows, not New Project windows like others.

Sometime, if other community member report the familiar issue that different with the original post, we may be recommend them to open a new thread, since the root cause of this issue is different and it will help us to discuss this issue separately and clearly, thank you for your understanding.

If you have any other issue, please free feel to let me know.

Best regards,

Sara

Friday, September 30, 2016 2:33 AM
  • thanks alot brother

Thursday, July 6, 2017 8:45 PM
  • Hi Saikalyan,

Using cmd, navigate to cd\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE and run the below commands

devenv /resetuserdata

devenv /resetSettings

These above commands might throw some errors "operation failed", ignore those

After that open the visual studio, pop-up will appear for the update, and now if you try to create a project you will find the templates. It worked for me.

Regards

Rajdip

------------------------

Thursday, December 14, 2017 6:41 PM
  • I am missing the web templates. From the modify page for the Visual Studio 2015 With Updated Enterprise Edition installer.

From the installer under Windows and Web Development, I see that Microsoft Web Developer Tools option is checked. However, in the folder "D:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE\ProjectTemplates\CSharp\Web", I see only a sub folder called "Version2012" and a file called "Web.VSTDIR"

I tried the 3 devenv commands you gave but these made no difference.

Wednesday, September 19, 2018 6:43 AM