Removing toolwindows in isolated shell RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

A blog post suggests it is possible to remove tool windows (in the isolated shell) declaritively in the .pkgundef file.  A couple of forum posts (1, 2) suggest this is not possible, while a 3rd implies that it is possible.  In Visual Studio 2010 Shell introductory presentation, a comment was made by one of the presenters that a toolwindow could be removed via the .vsct file.

The formal MSDN docs don't list any GUIDs for removing toolwindows.  In the Package GUIDs documentation, there is this comment:

"n many cases you will not be able to remove an entire feature. For example, there is no package you can unregister to remove the Class View and its associated menus, options, and services. The Class View window itself is provided by the Visual Studio Environment Package, which also provides other key IDE features. In other words, if you wish to remove the Class View, you must also remove the Find and Replace, the Environment Options pages, the Command Window, and the Output Window."

This seems to be an almost direct quote from the blog post I referenced earlier. The blog post author notes that while some packages can't be removed, he explicitly notes that the Class View tool window (which is in a package that shouldn't be removed) can be removed at the tool window level.

So, my question is: can one remove tool windows, either via the .pkgundef file or .vcst file or some other means?  I've tried both for the Class View tool window, with no success. (However, I am running into a problem getting my changes updated for something that should work - recorded in 1, so I don't know if this is the real problem).

Note: I am using VS 2010.

Thanks,

Notre

Tuesday, January 11, 2011 8:30 PM

Answers

• I created a brand new isolated app and did the following.

1. In my .pkgundef file, added this:

[$RootKey$\ToolWindows\{C9C0AE26-AA77-11d2-B3F0-0000F87570EE}]

This removed the tool window (which was docked along side the Solution Explorer).

2. In my ApplicationCommands.vsct file, uncommented this line:

<Define name="No_ShellPkg_ToolWindows_ClassView"/>

and this removed the Class View sub menu item from the View menu.

So, it looks like both the .pkgundef and .vsct can be used to removed tool windows.  And it's something in my original solution that is not refreshing when I make changes (I've entered separate questions for this).

Notre

• Marked as answer by Notre Tuesday, January 11, 2011 9:52 PM
    Tuesday, January 11, 2011 9:51 PM