Installing VS 2015 Causes VS 2012 VC++ Project Build Errors RRS feed

• Question

• I downloaded and installed VS 2015 Professional on my development machine which also has VS 2012 installed. Now, when I attempt to use VS 2012 to open and compile an existing project I get the following build error (repeated about 400 times):

c:\program files (x86)\microsoft visual studio 11.0\vc\atlmfc\include\afxv_w32.h(25): fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'winsdkver.h': No such file or directory

This project was building just fine in VS 2012 prior to installing VS 2015.

Does VS 2015 installation change some environment variable or other path that points to the location of this file?

UPDATE:

It appears as though the Macros indicated below have lost their values following the VS 2015 installation:

$(WindowsSDK80Path)

$(WindowsSdkDir)

$(WindowsSdkDir_80)

Tracing this down, the WindowsSDK80Path macro appears to be defined in the following key in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSBuild\ToolsVersions\14.0\11.0

The value for this key points to another registry entry: 

$(Registry:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v8.0@InstallationFolder)

However, I no longer have the \v8.0 key in my registry! I only have \v7.0A, \v7.1A, \v8.0A and \v8.1A keys. Did VS 2015 installation remove the \v8.0 SDK and registry key?

The WindowsSdkDir macro is defined in VCVarsQueryRegistry.bat, which attempts to read the value from various keys in the registry (HKLM or HKCU  \SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v8.0 ->InstallationFolder). Since this registry key is missing in my registry, that's why it comes up blank.

I figure WindowsSdkDir_80 is similarly defined and thus did not proceed to look for it.

I ran and performed a Repair on the VS2012 Update 4 installer, but that did not restore the settings.

So I ran and performed a Repair on the original VS2012 installer, and that did restore the settings!

• Edited by ACordner Thursday, July 23, 2015 11:34 PM updated info
    Thursday, July 23, 2015 5:50 PM

Answers

• I was only able to resolve this issue after performing a "Repair" by launching the original VS 2012 installation. See my update in the original post. I should point out, however, that now my VS 2012 IDE runs about as fast as molasses flowing uphill in the winter. Not really pleased. 
    • Marked as answer by ACordner Monday, July 27, 2015 2:42 PM
    Monday, July 27, 2015 2:42 PM

All replies

• Hi Acordner,

>>c:\program files (x86)\microsoft visual studio 11.0\vc\atlmfc\include\afxv_w32.h(25): fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'winsdkver.h': No such file or directory

From this error message, I suggest you may need to find out where is the winsdkver.h header file in your HDD.

And I know that the VS2012 (v110 toolset) may installed in C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.0. so please try to check If you can find it.

If no, please you install the corresponding version of windows SDK and then check this error again.

Windows Software Development Kit (SDK) for Windows 8

Best Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Saturday, July 25, 2015 4:31 AM
  • I was only able to resolve this issue after performing a "Repair" by launching the original VS 2012 installation. See my update in the original post. I should point out, however, that now my VS 2012 IDE runs about as fast as molasses flowing uphill in the winter. Not really pleased. 
    • Marked as answer by ACordner Monday, July 27, 2015 2:42 PM
    Monday, July 27, 2015 2:42 PM
  • Hi Acordner,

Thank you sharing the solution here so that it would be helpful for other members encountered similar issue.

Thanks,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, July 28, 2015 1:40 AM