not registering Audio DSP plugin for own file type in WMP 10 RRS feed

• Question

•  

HI,

Actually I create one Audio DSP Plugin using MS wizard utility.After compiling it is working fine for .wma file.

But I again created new audio DSP plugin using wizard for new file type. and registered new file extension in the registry for wmplayer. I was able to open the wmplayer when I double click on this type of file. But After enabling the dsp plugin i got this error massege "Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file."

So My question is "Is there any other setting in the registry to run the DSP plugin for new file type?" If yes What are these?

Or Is anything wrong or missing that's why It is not working for new file ext?

Thanks in advance

Naveen Mittal

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 10:13 AM

Answers

• A DSP plug-in is a data transform. It processes audio or video data, but it does not read or parse the source file. That is a completely separate part of the pipeline.

From the Windows Media Player SDK documentation:

"DSP plug-ins are software programs that receive audio or video data provided by Windows Media Player just before the rendering stage, then process that data and return the data to Windows Media Player for rendering" [emphasis mine]

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb248511(VS.85).aspx

What is the file type? If Windows Media Player does not support the file type already, you would need to write a DirectShow source filter or a Media Foundation media source.

- Mike

Friday, February 29, 2008 1:20 AM