none
.NET 4.0 SetupCache RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I already asked that question in the WES 2009 forum but they pointed me here since my question concern the .NET 4.0 Framework (not client profile). Here's my situation : I've installed the .NET 4.0 Framework component in a WES 2009 image solution and everything works fine concerning the .NET 4.0 installation(for our OEM platform). However, since I have to lower my footprint, I investigated a little bit and found that the .NET 4.0 seems to keep its installer files under C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\SetupCache\... which takes around 150MB on disk. Two files with a .mzz extension take almost all the disk space I mentionned above. Is it really necessary to keep those files since I'm on a tight disk restriction? Before that, I was using the .NET 3.5 SP1 Framework and there was no "SetupCache" directory keeping what seems to be some deployment files from the installer.

I also have to mention that in my WES 2009 image, user has no access to uninstall/remove/repair any installer already deployed in the OS.

I hope someone can clarify this to me since I'm going through that transition and want to be as lean as possible and functional in a scenario where I'm in an embedded environment.

Regards

Ben
    Friday, November 25, 2011 7:51 PM

Answers

• Hello Ben,

I take a look at the SetupCache folder on my side, and just as you mentioned above I found two .mzz files take the most part of disk space:

C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\SetupCache\Client\netfx_core.mzz

C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\SetupCache\Extended\netfx_extended.mzz

And as far as I know actually the .mzz files are simply the decompressed installer files. And if the installation is done and working, you should be safe to delete them.

Please take a look at the following like for more information:

http://superuser.com/questions/193586/200mb-mzz-files-in-net-4-0-directory-what-are-they

Thanks.

Vicky Song [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    • Marked as answer by Benlaj1 Tuesday, November 29, 2011 11:56 AM
    Monday, November 28, 2011 7:04 AM

All replies

• Hello Ben,

I take a look at the SetupCache folder on my side, and just as you mentioned above I found two .mzz files take the most part of disk space:

C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\SetupCache\Client\netfx_core.mzz

C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\SetupCache\Extended\netfx_extended.mzz

And as far as I know actually the .mzz files are simply the decompressed installer files. And if the installation is done and working, you should be safe to delete them.

Please take a look at the following like for more information:

http://superuser.com/questions/193586/200mb-mzz-files-in-net-4-0-directory-what-are-they

Thanks.

Vicky Song [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    • Marked as answer by Benlaj1 Tuesday, November 29, 2011 11:56 AM
    Monday, November 28, 2011 7:04 AM
  • Thasks Vicky, I'll check on my side for the possible impact but your answer seems quite satisfactory to me!!

Regards

Ben
    Tuesday, November 29, 2011 11:56 AM