none
Porting an application from wpf to windows store that uses DESCryptoServiceProvider

Question

• I have a wpf app that downloads data from a database that is encrypted using DESCrypteServiceProvider. Once on the client machine the client application decrypts it. I just started to do a version as a Windows8 application, . . . I immediately ran into the following problems:

System.Text doesn't appear to support ASCIIEncoding,

nor does Win 8 appear to support MemoryStream.GetBuffer(),

nor does Win 8 appear to support DESCryptoServiceProvider.

Is there any guidance on how to decrypt the content for Win 8?

I really don't want to decrypt it on the server and then send it to the client.

Thanks

Robotuner

Friday, April 25, 2014 9:59 PM

Answers

All replies

• See http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?linkid=227049 for info on using the .Met framework for Windows Store apps. You'll need to use the Windows Runtime classes for the features you describe.
    Saturday, April 26, 2014 5:12 PM
  • Thanks, I looked at it and it's very complicated.  I need help trying to figure out what is equivalent to using the c# AesManaged class in the Win 8.  There seems to be lots of variations on encryption.  I'm focusing on AES symmetric encryption.  My situation is that I need to interchangeably encrypt and decrypt strings in both wpf and win8 apps, and eventually asp.net apps. 

Does anyone have a example of how one would encrypt a string using the AESManaged Class, then decrypt it in a Win8 application?

Robotuner

Sunday, April 27, 2014 12:34 AM
  • Take a look at the Cryptography and Certificate sample in the sample gallery.
    • Marked as answer by Robotuner Monday, April 28, 2014 6:51 PM
    Sunday, April 27, 2014 2:19 AM