none
Visual Studio for Windows Embedded 8.1 Industry RRS feed

• Question

• I'm currently using Visual Studio 2008 with WinCE 7 BSP. If I'd like to move on to Windows Embedded 8.1 Industry BSP, can I use Visual Studio 2008 itself or I need to install VS 2013? My OS is Windows 7. Also, what all base BSPs come along with the installation of Windows Embedded 8.1 Industry?

Thanks,

6G

• Edited by 6G Tuesday, January 21, 2014 4:35 AM
    Monday, January 20, 2014 9:58 AM

All replies

• You need to install VS2012, it won't work with older versions.  

The deliverd bsp : are CEPC & GSeries AMD, but you can obtain more bsps from adeneo or adlink (you will have to register tough)

Monday, January 20, 2014 11:13 AM
  • Hi Kevin.

Thanks. When I tried to download Windows Embedded 8.1, it was mentioned that, the supported OS is Windows 8.1. So, I think I have to install Windows Embedded 8.1 in Visual Studio 2012 on Windows 8.1 OS. Am I right?

Monday, January 20, 2014 11:18 AM
  • Well, it seems to work on windows 7 here  :) 
    Monday, January 20, 2014 11:27 AM
  • Is that so? Then, I just need to install Visual Studio 2012 and Windows Embedded 8.1? Are you sure? Because, it was clearly mentioned that it supports Windows 8.1. That's why. Thanks.

Ref: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40745

• Edited by 6G Monday, January 20, 2014 11:37 AM
    Monday, January 20, 2014 11:30 AM
  • I'm afraid when you said "Windows Embedded 8" i assumed you meant "Windows Compact 2013" which clearly isn't the case ... 

I think it's best to ignore my previous "answers" ..

Sorry !

Monday, January 20, 2014 11:55 AM
  • If you are currently using Windows Embedded Compact 7 with VS2008, the next step is to use Windows Embedded Compact 2013 with VS2012.

Windows Embedded 8.1 is a different product and it isn't in the "Compact" family.

Paolo.

Paolo Patierno

Monday, January 20, 2014 1:56 PM
  • You left a lot of important details out of your question.

When you say "If I'd like to move on to Windows Embedded 8.1 BSP" what do you mean?  From the face of that question it has nothing - really absolutely nothing - to do with this Windows Compact Forum.  But maybe you meant something else.  

There is no product called Windows Embedded 8.1, oh heck Microsoft has done it again - there is a Windows Embedded 8.1 (sort of), but it is really Windows Embedded 8.1 Industry and Windows Embedded 8.1 Pro.  So which of those products do you mean?  If neither, then you need to tell us what you are referring to.

When you say "Also, what all base BSPs come along with the installation?" what "installation" are you referring to?

Bruce Eitman (eMVP)
    Senior Engineer
    Bruce.Eitman AT Eurotech DOT com
    My BLOG http://geekswithblogs.net/bruceeitman

Eurotech Inc.
    www.Eurotech.com

Monday, January 20, 2014 2:22 PM
  • I'd like to use Windows Embedded 8.1 Industry.

What I mean by 'installation' is, generally while we install WinCE 6 or 7 (not specific) after installing Visual Studio, we used to get some sample BSPs like CEPC, Virtual PC, etc. Just like that, I'd like to know what all BSPs come along with the installation of Windows Embedded 8.1 Industry.

Please direct me to the proper forum if I'm not in the correct one.

Thanks,

6G

• Edited by 6G Tuesday, January 21, 2014 4:32 AM
    Tuesday, January 21, 2014 4:20 AM
  • Following the right forum dedicated to Windows Embedded 8.1 Industry

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=WEIndustry

Paolo

Paolo Patierno

Tuesday, January 21, 2014 5:42 AM
  • Paolo pointed you in the right direction, but I will answer you anyway.

Windows Embedded Industry is full Windows, but with an embedded license.   That is you will be installing Windows using a disk, not a dev tool, and you will have restrictions on use of the OS.  I will leave it to your lawyer to read the license and understand the restrictions, but basically you cannot make a general purpose computer and save money on the license by using embedded.

So, no BSP.   Instead, you will need to supply and install drivers for hardware that doesn't come int he box with Windows 8.1.

Bruce Eitman (eMVP)
    Senior Engineer
    Bruce.Eitman AT Eurotech DOT com
    My BLOG http://geekswithblogs.net/bruceeitman

Eurotech Inc.
    www.Eurotech.com

Tuesday, January 21, 2014 4:37 PM