none
DNX version of MusicStore example running in the WindowsServerCore container RRS feed

• Question

• So, I took the Music Store app from here https://github.com/aspnet/MusicStore compiled the DNX version and published it to the Web Server running on the WindowsServerCore based container.

But when I browse to the application, it still complains that ASP.NET is not available. I have installed DNX on the container using DNVM.

How to get this scenario working?

Thanks,

Rasheed

Monday, September 14, 2015 3:39 PM

All replies

• Hi Abdul,

We think this should work. I'm gonna try and see if I can get it to work and let you know what I find out.

Regards,

Ender

Friday, September 18, 2015 9:41 PM
  • Thanks Ender.

Please do let me know if you could get it working and how.

I tried the same app on container host and yest I could not get it working without adding ASP.NET 4.6.

Its weird that next version of ASP.NET requires and older version to be present to bootstrap.

-Rasheed

Tuesday, September 22, 2015 4:25 PM
  • Abdul,

I was also not able to run MusicStore, but due to a different reason. You eventually run into the problem that MusicStore needs a SQL server, which will not currently work in a container. I didn't run into a problem with ASP.NET though. What error were you getting with this?

-Ender

Friday, September 25, 2015 10:51 PM
  • Please provide the steps you followed in the container.

I did not run into missing SQL, I was going to point it to SQL on my host if I got that far.

Thanks,

Rasheed

Monday, September 28, 2015 5:03 PM
  • Rasheed,

In the container, I simply went to the folder with the file system and ran the command "web."

The file system I had was created by just publishing from Visual Studio as a file system. I then created a container image using that file system and this dockerfile:

FROM windowsservercore
    ADD MusicStore /
    RUN setx path %path%;"c:\MusicStore\approot\runtimes\dnx-clr-win-x86.1.0.0-beta7\bin"

Note: this dockerfile will add the contents of "MusicStore" in the C drive of the container, but not the "MusicStore" folder. To get around that, I just made another "MusicStore" folder in the "MusicStore" folder dockerfile points to, which contains the file system (so, "MusicStore\MusicStore\File System")

Let me know if this helps, or if you need more information,

Ender

Monday, September 28, 2015 6:57 PM
  • I will have to try these steps separately.

The route I took was:

Bring up a container based on WindowServerCore

Enable WebServer + ApplicationDevelopement

Use msdeploy sync command to sync running instance of MusicStore with container

Have you tried this route?

Thanks!

Tuesday, September 29, 2015 4:16 PM