none
Creating multiple databases in PostgreSQL Hyperscale cluster server group RRS feed

• Question

• I have created Azure PostgreSQL cluster server group with 5 nodes. The default citus database is already present but I want to create 5 different databases (for 5 years OSM data). 

I am getting following error:

NOTICE:  Citus partially supports CREATE DATABASE for distributed databases
    DETAIL:  Citus does not propagate CREATE DATABASE command to workers
    HINT:  You can manually create a database and its extensions on workers.
    ERROR:  permission denied to create database

Thursday, February 13, 2020 12:14 PM

All replies

• Hi Vivek

Citus is a database level extension. So every time you create a new database citus extension has to be created and managed on all the worker nodes. As Hyperscale (Citus) is a PaaS offering, to simplify infrastructure management we took a trade off to support a single database i.e. Citus.

A very simple workaround that customers almost every time accept is to create schemas instead of a database and use roles and grant features to manage permissions across these schemas.

Another option obviously is to create multiple Hyperscale (Citus) clusters by which each cluster acts as an individual database.

Hope this helps.

Thanks
    Navtej S

Friday, February 14, 2020 9:48 PM
  • Just checking in to see if the above answer(s) helped.

If this answers your query, do click “Mark as Answer” and Up-Vote for the same which might be beneficial to other community members reading this thread .

And, if you have any further queries do let us know. 

Monday, February 17, 2020 12:53 PM
    Owner