Failover issue witness RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Team,

Last night db failover occur in our environment due to witness server.

Here the time out is 10 seconds only now i m changing to 60 seconds

witness server monitoring principal server its pining every 60 sec.. after 60 sec db failover occure

i m looking 1st attempt it will ping 60 sec

2nd attempt again it will ping 60 secs

3 rd attempt again it will ping 60 secs then only db failover occure this was i m looking for this what are steps we have to take.

Because in our environment 1st attempt only db failover will occure we have lote traffice issues how we reslove this prob..

please suget me really appriciate those guys

subu

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 1:10 PM

Answers

• Hi Subu,

Because soft errors are not detectable directly by a server instance, a soft error could potentially cause a server instance to wait indefinitely. To prevent this, database mirroring implements its own time-out mechanism, based on each server instance in a mirroring session sending out a ping on each open connection at a fixed interval.

In high-performance mode sessions, the time-out period is always 10 seconds. This is generally enough to avoid false failures. In high-safety mode sessions, the default time-out period is 10 seconds, but you can change the duration. To avoid false failures, we recommend that the mirroring time-out period always be 10 seconds or more.

I think 60 seconds is enough for the SQL Server Mirror. Or you could change the timeout to a higher value.

Please see the the Mirroring Time-Out Mechanism: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms190913.aspx.

Thanks,
    Maggie

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by Maggie Luo Thursday, October 4, 2012 9:57 AM
    Monday, October 1, 2012 9:40 AM