none
Add-In file for Outlook (like .xlam for Excel) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

When I write macros for Excel 2013, my favorite way to share them is to save them as a read-only Excel Add-in (.xlam) file on a network share, create a shortcut to it in the Quick Access Toolbar (QAT), and then export the QAT to the network share.  Coworkers can then simply import the QAT into Excel and click the button to run the macro.  I can update the macro any time without needing to worry about deployment procedures, because the macro is loaded from the network share every time they reopen Excel and click the button in the QAT.  There is a macro security warning every time it loads, but otherwise it's clean and simple.

Can I do the same in Outlook 2013?  Is there a way to save macros into an add-in file that Outlook can open from the QAT?  I've seen plenty of threads on sharing Outlook add-ins by copying the VBAProject.otm, importing .bas files into the VB Editor and using .msi files to load COM Add-ins, but I haven't seen any that ask about the Outlook equivalent to an Excel .xlam file.  I've tried those other methods, and they function acceptably, but it would be so much easier to manage if Outlook could read code from a file on the network share each time.

Wednesday, November 5, 2014 5:16 PM

All replies

• Hi

When I write macros for Excel 2013, my favorite way to share them is to save them as a read-only Excel Add-in (.xlam) file on a network share, create a shortcut to it in the Quick Access Toolbar (QAT), and then export the QAT to the network share.  Coworkers can then simply import the QAT into Excel and click the button to run the macro.  I can update the macro any time without needing to worry about deployment procedures, because the macro is loaded from the network share every time they reopen Excel and click the button in the QAT.  There is a macro security warning every time it loads, but otherwise it's clean and simple.

Can I do the same in Outlook 2013?  Is there a way to save macros into an add-in file that Outlook can open from the QAT?  I've seen plenty of threads on sharing Outlook add-ins by copying the VBAProject.otm, importing .bas files into the VB Editor and using .msi files to load COM Add-ins, but I haven't seen any that ask about the Outlook equivalent to an Excel .xlam file.  I've tried those other methods, and they function acceptably, but it would be so much easier to manage if Outlook could read code from a file on the network share each time.

I think you can create an Add-In for Outlook, but I believe you need Visual Studio for that to develop the Add-In.

Walkthrough: Creating Your First Application-Level Add-in for Outlook

Creating an Outlook 2010 Add-In

You might also post the question in the Outlook for Developers Forum, to get some ideas or answers what helps you.

Hope this helps,

Daniel van den Berg | Washington, USA | "Anticipate the difficult by managing the easy"

Please vote an answer helpful if they helped. Please mark an answer(s) as an answer when your question is being answered.

Wednesday, November 5, 2014 5:41 PM
  • You cant create addin from Outlook and Word Application. You can do it only from Excel and PowerPoint.

If you want to share your ideas you should to use VB.NET (visual Studio) to create COM. That's only way to distribute files in your company. Anyway Com you can run the same way like xla/m, because COM must be a install. You can automatize it using domain.

Oskar Shon, Office System MVP - www.VBATools.pl
    if Helpful; Answer when a problem solved

Sunday, November 9, 2014 6:24 PM
    Answerer
  • You cant create addin from Outlook and Word Application. You can do it only from Excel and PowerPoint.

That's not quite correct. You can certainly create add-ins for Word. There are many examples on my web site: http://www.gmayor.com/Word_pages.htm. Any Word macro enabled template installed in the Office or ( much better still) the Word Startup folder will load with Word and the code it contains will be available to Word. Outlook, however is a different beast.

Graham Mayor - Word MVP
    www.gmayor.com

Monday, November 10, 2014 6:12 AM
  • I've not tried, but maybe if you put a BAT file in the Windows StartUp folder, you can copy a network's Outlook's project file to the local path. Them, when Outlook initialize, its macros will be updated.

Felipe Costa Gualberto - http://www.ambienteoffice.com.br

Saturday, November 15, 2014 12:14 PM
  • You can certainly create add-ins for Word. 

Graham - dotm is a tamplate like xltm, as you know.

You can not say that Word has the same equivalent to Excel's xlam

Course you can add there lots of VBA stuff, but that is not addin.

Regards.

Oskar Shon, Office System MVP - www.VBATools.pl
    if Helpful; Answer when a problem solved

Monday, November 17, 2014 8:08 PM
    Answerer