Developer License Registration Issues

Question

• I can't seem to get the developer license to download to my laptop after an upgrade from windows 7. I've opened a new app project and I will get the popup asking to accept the terms. After accepting, nothing happens. I'll press debug and get the popup once again and press accept again and then get:

Error 1 Error : DEP0100 : Deployment failed due to a Developer Licensing issue. 
    Not a valid Win32 FileTime.
    Parameter name: fileTime App1

Also, I have attempted the powershell method for this with Show-WindowsDeveloperLicenseRegistration and Get-WindowsDeveloperLicense. The Show pops the window up to accept and again nothing happens after clicking accept. The Get just informs me that I have no developer license.

`````````````````````````````````````````````````

Windows PowerShell
    Copyright (C) 2012 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Get-WindowsDeveloperLicense
    Get-WindowsDeveloperLicense : There is no developer license on this computer.
    At line:1 char:1
    + Get-WindowsDeveloperLicense
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (:) [Get-WindowsDeveloperLicense], InvalidOperationException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : NoRegisteredDeveloperLicense,Microsoft.Windows.DeveloperLicense.Commands.GetWindowsDevel
       operLicenseCommand

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32>

`````````````````````````````````````````````````````

All of my software is sufficiently licensed including VS and Windows. I have the hotmail account that I created specifically for windows 8 and remain logged in throughout this attempt.

Thursday, March 21, 2013 12:41 PM

All replies

• FWIW (which may be nothing), I've had the license key renewal fail a couple of times, but a cold boot fixed the problem. Have you tried that?

Rebecca M. Riordan

Thursday, March 21, 2013 1:17 PM
  • Thanks for the suggestion, but still no luck.
    Thursday, March 21, 2013 4:40 PM
  • Is your system time set correctly?  I notice the original error referred to fileTime (but that may just be an artifact of having no license.)

Other things to try: run as administrator, temporarily disable 3rd party anti-virus, use IE as default browser, repair installation of VS.

• Edited by jrboddie Thursday, March 21, 2013 5:10 PM
    Thursday, March 21, 2013 5:08 PM
  • It seems Internet Explorer is the problem. I try to set IE as the default browser, as suggested, but it is nowhere to be found in the default programs list. I tried going into uninstall programs and turn on or off windows features and unchecked IE, restarted, then rechecked IE and restarted once again. Still can't set IE as default.
    Friday, March 22, 2013 2:52 AM
  • You know, I really like the IE interface. I much prefer it to Firefox (I won't use Chrome). But I sure wish IE actually worked. I've had to move to Firefox for posting to these forums, because IE won't handle the submit button. Yeah, the MS browser doesn't handle a MS website correctly. Irony so thick you could spread it on bread.

Anyway (now that I have that out of my system <g>), Did you try repairing Visual Studio? Before I wasted any more time struggling with IE, I'd try that. I know jrboddfie listed that after making IE the default browser, but if a cold boot doesn't solve a Visual Studio problem, I try a repair. (Fortunately, it's not at all painful to do.)

Rebecca M. Riordan

Friday, March 22, 2013 12:18 PM
  • I'm asking our VS team to give me some answers on this one.  I'll update when I know more.

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Monday, March 25, 2013 3:04 PM
  • Can I please get this file from you:

%temp%\winstore.log

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Monday, March 25, 2013 8:26 PM