any tools to record a screencast of a metro app?

Question

• Does anyone know a tool that can record the screen in a metro app?  Ideally I'd like to record particular interactions and voice-over to help users better understand how to use an app.

I haven't been able to find good resources on how to do this on this forum or around the Internet.  There are some screencasting programs for "Windows" that seem pretty sketchy and don't seem to reference Windows 8 yet.  There's one desktop app in the store that says it's Windows 8 compatible but the publisher's page is half in English and half in German.  I've heard Camtasia referenced in searching around for an app to do this with, but it's several hundred dollars and I don't want to get it just to find out it doesn't work.

Any recommendations on something malware-free that works with metro apps?

Thanks!

Tuesday, December 25, 2012 1:47 AM

Answers

• I used the freeware CamStudio and captured Visual Studio 12's Simulator window, works great. I then edited that video in Windows Live Movie Maker to add text  though didnt do any audio voice-overs. Did the job for me.

Zubair Ahmed | @zubairdotnet | zubairahmed.net | Win8RssReader.codeplex.com | facebook.com/zubair.ahmed.public

• Proposed as answer by Zubair Tuesday, December 25, 2012 2:37 AM
    • Marked as answer by e22pii Friday, December 28, 2012 12:26 AM
    Tuesday, December 25, 2012 2:37 AM

All replies

• I used the freeware CamStudio and captured Visual Studio 12's Simulator window, works great. I then edited that video in Windows Live Movie Maker to add text  though didnt do any audio voice-overs. Did the job for me.

Zubair Ahmed | @zubairdotnet | zubairahmed.net | Win8RssReader.codeplex.com | facebook.com/zubair.ahmed.public

• Proposed as answer by Zubair Tuesday, December 25, 2012 2:37 AM
    • Marked as answer by e22pii Friday, December 28, 2012 12:26 AM
    Tuesday, December 25, 2012 2:37 AM
  • That's a great idea to use the simulator for capture.  Thanks so much for your suggestion!

Friday, December 28, 2012 12:27 AM