Remote Debugging RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

After upgrading my surface and Dev PC to 8.1 and updating Visual Studio 2012 Express and the remote tools 2012 to update 4, the remote debugger no longer works. I've also tried the 2013 remote tools with no luck, though the first install it asked configuration questions and subsequent install times it would not ask those config questions again, so I can't try other settings.

Any Ideas?

Surface Error message after update to remote tools 2012:

C:\program files\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\Common7\IDE\Remote Debugger\arm\MSVCR110.dll is either not designed to run on windows or it contains an error. try installing the program again using original installation media or contact your system administrator or the software vendor for support. Error Status 0xc000428 or no error, see above or below.

• Edited by RamboBill Monday, December 2, 2013 5:26 AM Added the word Express after Visual Studio
    Monday, December 2, 2013 5:11 AM

Answers

• For anyone whom finds this looking for a simple answer:

You can't remote debug windows 8 apps in Visual Studio Express after upgrading to Windows 8.1

VS 2012 Update 4, does not fix it.

VS 2013 remote debugger, does not work with VS 2012 express.

VS 2013 express will not target windows 8; however, VS 2013 pro will.
    • Marked as answer by RamboBill Tuesday, December 3, 2013 9:35 PM
    • Edited by RamboBill Tuesday, December 3, 2013 9:38 PM Added some additional notes about VS 2013
    Tuesday, December 3, 2013 9:35 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You app is windows 8.1 or windows 8.0? If windows 8.1, you should use VS2013 remote debugger tools. Try to refer to the link to know how to debug and test Windows Store apps on a remote machine from Visual Studio:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/library/windows/apps/hh441469.aspx

Best Wishes!

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey. Thanks<br/> MSDN Community Support<br/> <br/> Please remember to &quot;Mark as Answer&quot; the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Tuesday, December 3, 2013 2:58 AM
  • If you read my post, I stated "I've also tried the 2013 remote tools with no luck", what that means is that I've tried your suggestion.

After researching this using Google, I found out that after upgrading you can't develop Windows 8 store apps anymore without paying for a non-express version.

Thinking about my options now, whether I go back to Win 8 or not. I hate to pay for something that was free in a previous version. $99 is a lot when they take 30% of what you make too. Might use the 99$ towards switching development paths.

Tuesday, December 3, 2013 2:24 PM
  • For anyone whom finds this looking for a simple answer:

You can't remote debug windows 8 apps in Visual Studio Express after upgrading to Windows 8.1

VS 2012 Update 4, does not fix it.

VS 2013 remote debugger, does not work with VS 2012 express.

VS 2013 express will not target windows 8; however, VS 2013 pro will.
    • Marked as answer by RamboBill Tuesday, December 3, 2013 9:35 PM
    • Edited by RamboBill Tuesday, December 3, 2013 9:38 PM Added some additional notes about VS 2013
    Tuesday, December 3, 2013 9:35 PM