none
Can Kinect 360 do hand gesture recognition?

Question

• Now I know this board is mostly for kinect windows because it's the officially supported medium, but the price difference between kinect 360 and kinect windows is almsot 3 times. I could buy kinect 360 for 100 bucks while I can't find any one selling kinect windows below 250.

not to mention that kinect 360 is widely sold in every major store while only 1 vendor is selling kinect windows in my region. the limited supply means the price won't change because there's no competition.

anyway, I just want to know whether kinect 360 can do what I need for my project. I am trying to do hand gesture and motion recognition using kinect, basically using it to do desktop operations like click, drag, and drop, and I need to do it for both hands. from what I know
    - only kinect windows can do close mode.

does kinect 360 have enough resolution to recognize hand motions?
    Tuesday, January 28, 2014 11:51 PM

All replies

• There are many projects on the Internet that demonstrate this idea. I am not aware of an out-of-the-box SDK that supports this but I am sure there is one. Hand tracking I another way it is referred to.

As for using the Kinect for Xbox sensor, this is only licensed for Xbox use. The official Kinect for Windows SDK requires the Kinect for Windows hardware and is fully licensed and supported for commercial use. This is covered in the EULA. Kinect for Xbox only support 320x240 depth data, where Kinect for Windows supports 640x480.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/kinectforwindows/Faq.aspx

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Wednesday, January 29, 2014 7:22 PM