sqlhelper introduction & answers please RRS feed

• Question

• User-197255636 posted

Hello everyone, I've been checking out this sqlhelper can after reading that it might help me clean up things a little in my DAL, however I wondering now what the deal with it is... I mean I see references to methods such as executereader() executenonquery() etc. but where I get confused is here.... aren't these functions included in the core 2.0 anyhow? Cant I do command.executereader()? What's the difference? Why go to a separate class when these are already built in?

Cheers

Saturday, July 26, 2008 9:48 AM

All replies

• User-158764254 posted

you could use the methods of the command object directly, but you will need to write more code than if you used sqlhelper.  sqlhelper wraps up that functionality to make it simpler to access and it does so using best practices related to connection handling. 

Saturday, July 26, 2008 10:00 AM
  • User-197255636 posted
    thanks Mike, I'll get the DAAB and sqlhelper then, give it a go. I wanted to go for the enterprise library which has more stuff overall but it seems its not compatible with Visual web developer 2008 which is a shame.
    Saturday, July 26, 2008 11:10 AM
  • User-158764254 posted

I put the DAAB in years ago and never found a need to migrate to the entlib.  sqlhelper just works.

Saturday, July 26, 2008 11:13 AM