none
Windows 8 App company specific deployment

Question

• I am currently working on an app for a company to showcase their product range. This application is to be hosted and ran on their Windows Surface RT tablets. I am almost finished the development of the application and it all works great. I am using HTML5 CSS3 and Javascript (hammer.js) for the development of the touch aspects of the application. I have been testing the application on a Windows Surface by uploading to a temporary server space.

My problem comes into play as the client would like the application to sit on the Surface device and be accessible without an internet connection. Another reason we do not want to push this over the internet is because the image files that we are using are going to be very big! As this application is company specific they would not like it to be hosted on the Windows App Store. I have been looking into how i can wrap the files up as an app and deploy it onto the Surface tablet and the only thing that I can find is a product called PhoneGap (Cordova). However after some searching and playing around I cant seem to see how I can get this to work.

My other problem is that I need the application to open as a Metro app (i.e. have its own tab on the windows 8 interface). Another option would be to open it in the native metro IE application, however I am unsure if this is possible?

If anyone could point me in the right direction or give me some links to look at that would be great.

Please ask if you would like anymore information.

Friday, February 21, 2014 9:58 AM

Answers

• deploying it to different devices going be little hard. Easiest and cheapesdt way is to use developer licenses. the only bad thing is that every 30 days you need to renew your developer license.

If you want to have a more solid solution you need to sideload your apps; for surface devices you need to buy sideloading license keys. with them you can install your application.

see more information about sideloading:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/jj874388.aspx

Microsoft Certified Solutions Developer - Windows Store Apps Using C#

Friday, February 21, 2014 11:02 AM

All replies

• if the application is only a clientside app with no code that runs on a backend you acn move it to a native html app pretty easy. maybe that would be a solution?

Friday, February 21, 2014 10:06 AM
  • It does not access any backend code. It is purely a visual application that shows images and text using Javascript. How do I go about moving it to a native html app and would this mean I can easily deploy it to multiple tablets without submitting it to the Windows App Store?

Thanks for the quick reply.

Friday, February 21, 2014 10:31 AM
  • deploying it to different devices going be little hard. Easiest and cheapesdt way is to use developer licenses. the only bad thing is that every 30 days you need to renew your developer license.

If you want to have a more solid solution you need to sideload your apps; for surface devices you need to buy sideloading license keys. with them you can install your application.

see more information about sideloading:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/jj874388.aspx

Friday, February 21, 2014 11:02 AM
  • Okay so what if i was to release the app to the app store? How much would this cost?
    Friday, February 21, 2014 1:07 PM
  • mm only need to create a developer account

personal account is 14 dollar

company account 75 dollar

Friday, February 21, 2014 1:20 PM
  • Hello Boldonglen,

Dave Smits is correct in that you would only need register a developer account should you wish to release app(s) to the Windows Store. Of course, apps must comply with the app certification requirements to be released into the Store. You can view pricing and additional details here on the account types page.

Thanks!

-Jonathan

Windows Store Developer Support

Office Store Developer Support

Thursday, March 13, 2014 4:19 PM