Overloaded, need simple help with CSS RRS feed

• Question

• Hello. I am creating a simple web page for a friend and I have already downloaded / edited a template for the site. I saved the initial file as a .css because I want to use the basics of it for every page on my site. Here is where I get stuck

I open a "new page" and want to just put that .css file on that page so I can edit just the body of it. When I "attach style sheet", the page turns the color of the original page I used as a template but there is nothing else.  

I did look through the forums as well as google. I just can not seem to find something like this. I don't need a lot of time from someone, maybe just a link to a video explaining this situation. I have watching so many tutorials on CSS and read so much on w3schools but everything seems to tell me how to apply .css styles to existing text. 

I appreciate your help. Thank you.

Thursday, June 10, 2010 3:06 PM

Answers

• You are a little confused on what CSS is.  CSS is not a template, or guide for structure.  CSS is just the rules for the presentation layer.  It has its own language that isn't the HTML language.  So you can't take an HTML file, rename it and expect it to do anything because at the end of the day all you have is an HTML document with a different extension.

What you are looking for is DWTs - this is something I don't do.  Check out the before posting sticky for tutorials on DWTs.

Check out:

http://by-expression.com/media/p/1300.aspx

--
    Chris Hanscom - Microsoft MVP
    On Facebook | On Twitter | Resource Center | Veign's Blog | Web Development Help

Get a Complete Website Analysis by Veign
    Thursday, June 10, 2010 3:36 PM

All replies

• You need to explain a little better what you are doing and what you think CSS is.  From reading your posts it sounds like you may be confused on what CSS is.

What initial file did you rename .css?  Was it even a CSS stylesheet to begin with?

--
    On Facebook | On Twitter | Resource Center | Veign's Blog | Web Development Help

Thursday, June 10, 2010 3:11 PM
  • Hmm, maybe I am. Sorry. I have been going through so many tutorials....

I downloaded a theme from a  site. It came with a folder that had a .html and a .css

I opened the the .html and edited the images and a made a few changes, then saved it. Then saved it again as a .css.

I then opened a new page and tried to attach the created .css which just made the new page turn the a color. 

Sorry if I am not clear enough I will try to explain it better. What I am trying to do is just create 5 or so pages that have a same basic outline ( heading, links, layout ), so that I can just make the body different on each page. Should I just copy paste the html code into the new pages? Would that simplify it or make it a problem.

Thursday, June 10, 2010 3:24 PM
  • You are a little confused on what CSS is.  CSS is not a template, or guide for structure.  CSS is just the rules for the presentation layer.  It has its own language that isn't the HTML language.  So you can't take an HTML file, rename it and expect it to do anything because at the end of the day all you have is an HTML document with a different extension.

What you are looking for is DWTs - this is something I don't do.  Check out the before posting sticky for tutorials on DWTs.

Check out:

http://by-expression.com/media/p/1300.aspx

--

Thursday, June 10, 2010 3:36 PM
  • A Tutorial like that is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you for your hastily responses. 
    Thursday, June 10, 2010 3:58 PM
  • No problem and good luck.  Once you learn the foundation stuff, HTML and CSS, things will start to come together and make sense...

--

Thursday, June 10, 2010 4:08 PM
  • I suspect that you  need a little more basics on HTML & Expression Web. I'd suggest the Basic Website tutorial in the Before Posting sticky. It shows you how to use styles in Expression Web though it starts with a blank page. Work along with the tutorial by downloading the asset file. That way when you get ot using styles from your stylesheet you'll have a better understanding of how the whole process works.

http://by-expression.com/content/tutorials.aspx 

MS MVP Expression Tutorials & Help http://by-expression.com
    Thursday, June 10, 2010 4:58 PM