none
Handling concurency in multi user environment (WinForms) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Does anybody know some good book, article or sample about handling concurency inserting, deleting, updating and selecting data in WinForms (Framework 2.0) multi user environment application using SQLServer2005  database?

I don’t know which approiche is better: using SqlDataAdapter, SqlCommand, DataSet and other framework components, or custom business class that use stored procedures for all database operations.

Currently I’m using my own custom business (Data helper) classes for handling select, insert, update and delete operations, but I need some suggestions about the logic for right implementation. There are some questions about:

·         Using time stamp column for rows in tables

·         Preventing data modification from other users

·         When is the best time to check about data changes (from other users) when user is about to modify it

·         Notification user about data changes made from other user (This is a situation when data is displayed in DataGridView and some other user has modified it. How to notify user that data is old?)

·         Which approiche is better to edit data: modal form that use controls to display data, or DataGridView

I think that using custom business components is better and cleaner way than uing framework components (SqlDataAdapter…), but I’ve unresolved issues about questions mentioned above.

Currently, I’m using DataGridView for diplaying data and deleting data, and modal form for inserting (creating new item) and updating data.

Regards,

Vasil

Monday, July 16, 2007 2:10 PM

Answers

• There is excellent coverage of this topic in "Programming Microsoft ADO NET 2.0, Core Reference" , 2005 Edition, by David Sceppa.  It is published by Microsoft Press. 

Sceppa's book is probably the best written software manual I've ever read; it's coverage of all aspects of ADO programming is complete and understandable.

Hope that helps.

Don Seydel

Monday, July 16, 2007 4:00 PM

All replies

• There is excellent coverage of this topic in "Programming Microsoft ADO NET 2.0, Core Reference" , 2005 Edition, by David Sceppa.  It is published by Microsoft Press. 

Sceppa's book is probably the best written software manual I've ever read; it's coverage of all aspects of ADO programming is complete and understandable.

Hope that helps.

Don Seydel

Monday, July 16, 2007 4:00 PM
  • Thanks Don for your advise. I'll try to fin the book and see if it can help me.

Regards,

Vasil

Tuesday, July 17, 2007 11:20 AM