none
System keyboard accelerators... Can not override? RRS feed

• Question

• Here is the URL : http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms646335.aspx#_win32_Accelerator_Keystroke_Assignments

Quoting : "If an application defines an accelerator that is also defined in the system accelerator table, the application-defined accelerator overrides the system accelerator, but only within the context of the application. Avoid this practice, however, because it prevents the system accelerator from performing its standard role in the user interface."

Then there is the system accelerator table shown which contains ALT+TAB and many others.

I did override the ALT+TAB, ALT+ESC and few others and they do not work. Still the default system behavior occures - e.g. ALT+TAB switches active window.

I'm gonna use keyboard hook to trap it, but I'm just curious - why does MSDN documentation lie ? If we can't override these combinations...
    Friday, January 2, 2009 9:47 AM

All replies

• The Visual C++ team did not wrote the documentation. it is maintained by the Windows SDK team. You can send a feedback on that page or ask in a Windows SDK forum.
    MSMVP VC++
    Friday, January 2, 2009 4:06 PM