File already in use RRS feed

• Question

• User-957910121 posted

I am building my .NET project on my Windows Server 2008 R2 (64bit).  The project needs to access a *.mdb file stored on another Server on my network which is a Small Business Server 2003.  I have an access data source bound to a gridview for simplicity however when I try to run the page I get an error:

Server Error in '/FrontEnd/Portal' Application.

Could not use ''; file already in use.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Data.OleDb.OleDbException: Could not use ''; file already in use.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[OleDbException (0x80004005): Could not use ''; file already in use.]
       System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnectionInternal..ctor(OleDbConnectionString constr, OleDbConnection connection) +351
       System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnectionFactory.CreateConnection(DbConnectionOptions options, Object poolGroupProviderInfo, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnection owningObject) +86
       System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.CreateNonPooledConnection(DbConnection owningConnection, DbConnectionPoolGroup poolGroup) +31
       System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.GetConnection(DbConnection owningConnection) +76
       System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.OpenConnection(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory) +126
       System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection.Open() +43
       System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.FillInternal(DataSet dataset, DataTable[] datatables, Int32 startRecord, Int32 maxRecords, String srcTable, IDbCommand command, CommandBehavior behavior) +123
       System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.Fill(DataSet dataSet, Int32 startRecord, Int32 maxRecords, String srcTable, IDbCommand command, CommandBehavior behavior) +319
       System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.Fill(DataSet dataSet, String srcTable) +92
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.SqlDataSourceView.ExecuteSelect(DataSourceSelectArguments arguments) +1618
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.AccessDataSourceView.ExecuteSelect(DataSourceSelectArguments arguments) +76
       System.Web.UI.DataSourceView.Select(DataSourceSelectArguments arguments, DataSourceViewSelectCallback callback) +21
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataBoundControl.PerformSelect() +143
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.BaseDataBoundControl.DataBind() +74
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.GridView.DataBind() +4
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.BaseDataBoundControl.EnsureDataBound() +66
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.CompositeDataBoundControl.CreateChildControls() +75
       System.Web.UI.Control.EnsureChildControls() +102
       System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() +42
       System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() +175
       System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +2496

I look around online and of course the most obvious thing is permissions. I tried to change them but it has made no difference I always get the same error. I changed the permissions on the share which my .mdb file is in but this has not worked either.  I dug a little further and there was a suggestion to change the project to impersonation=true.  I tried that and it stopped my app working altogether.  Whatever I do nothing seems to work its driving me crazy, where am I going wrong?

When I set the permissions of the share I noticed that IUSR_<servername> was not there for the server which my app is on but I dont know why that is!?

Friday, October 14, 2011 3:34 AM

Answers