none
Does latest Kinect SDK support Intel 4000 graphics card? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I just got a Kinect and have it connected to a Windows 10 desktop. It looks OK from the Kinect Sutdio. However, I saw in the document the requirement of the display card is Intel HD Graphics 4400 and above but mine is Intel HD Graphics 4000. so I'm wondering if 4000 will still work. Anybody has such experience? Thanks.

- Calvin

Sunday, November 12, 2017 3:15 AM

Answers

• The documentation is a bit off anyways. Technically they only check for DX11 supporting cards(Kinect Configuration Verifier) but if the card has adequate characteristics it can work.

Also depends on the scenario.

If you wish to create an application that heavily uses Body Tracking(Joints etc) along with other streams and might have multiple users or a gallery(in case it's presented in Expos or similar places with lots of ppl about) then your GPU can easily be brought to its knees, especially the more ppl inside the field of view.

If you only need something like the Color and Body Index , perhaps it's fine.

The above

There's no formal documentation as to what characteristics of a GPU are needed for which parts of the SDK, so I can't really say if it's good or not.

I'd say that since Kinect Studio behaves ok, you should try to prototype something towards the use you want and see how it works. Also if it's a laptop, I also refer you to the Troubleshooting thread which is stickied if you go up a level from this thread, to check out things about power settings etc(make sure you're not using some preset that's hindering the communication between sensor,service and your application).

• Edited by Nikolaos Patsiouras Sunday, November 12, 2017 10:05 AM
    • Marked as answer by koifans Thursday, November 16, 2017 12:56 AM
    Sunday, November 12, 2017 10:04 AM

All replies

• The documentation is a bit off anyways. Technically they only check for DX11 supporting cards(Kinect Configuration Verifier) but if the card has adequate characteristics it can work.

Also depends on the scenario.

If you wish to create an application that heavily uses Body Tracking(Joints etc) along with other streams and might have multiple users or a gallery(in case it's presented in Expos or similar places with lots of ppl about) then your GPU can easily be brought to its knees, especially the more ppl inside the field of view.

If you only need something like the Color and Body Index , perhaps it's fine.

The above

There's no formal documentation as to what characteristics of a GPU are needed for which parts of the SDK, so I can't really say if it's good or not.

I'd say that since Kinect Studio behaves ok, you should try to prototype something towards the use you want and see how it works. Also if it's a laptop, I also refer you to the Troubleshooting thread which is stickied if you go up a level from this thread, to check out things about power settings etc(make sure you're not using some preset that's hindering the communication between sensor,service and your application).

• Edited by Nikolaos Patsiouras Sunday, November 12, 2017 10:05 AM
    • Marked as answer by koifans Thursday, November 16, 2017 12:56 AM
    Sunday, November 12, 2017 10:04 AM
  • Hi Nikolaos,

Thanks a lot for sharing the insights. I'll give it a try.

Calvin

Thursday, November 16, 2017 12:56 AM